Amazon Sales Tax

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by oldhifi, Dec 31, 2013.

1. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically you're still responsible to pay the taxes ;)

Amazon has been losing this battle left and right. They recently agreed to start collecting sales taxes for us Massachusetts residents.

I think the end is coming for tax free purchases

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You can still drive to New Hampshire for your shopping :D.

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Who in their right mind would report items they bought from sites that don't charge sales tax?

6. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Thus is just plain wrong.

I hated when they started taxing my amazon purchases, but when they created a market presence here, it screwed me up.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You bet - live free or die baby :D

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I have no problem with sales tax being collected from online purchases.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

At least the advantage Amazon has over small local businesses will come to an end. Amazon have had it all their own way for far too long.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not the only advantage - price is a huge motivator. The collecting of sales tax by Amazon is inconsistent as well (AFAIK), in my state they started because they now have a physical presence, in other states they still don't collect the tax.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

They don't in Washington State or Oregon.

12. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Amazon is building a facility here in VA, so will begin collecting sales tax (5.36%) sometime this year. Local retailers and those with web sites and physical stores in the state have to collect sales tax for online orders. Levels the playing field.

13. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

That "special treatment" isn't expiring for other companies who don't have nexus in the state.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is it at least reliable over there? Under NZ law you only have to pay tax if the tax is $60 or more, so unless you're placing large orders or buying a lot of things at once then there's no tax payable. However, Amazon tends to err on the side of caution and seems to start collecting at around the $50 mark. You then get a refund once the goods arrive in the country. That's a bit of a mess; is it better in the US?

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It had to happen at some point. Sales tax is something that should be all or nothing, not subject to the state where the item ships. As for being technically responsible for use tax, most of it flies under the radar. It is likely flagged over a certain amount. There is also such a thing as sales tax evasion. For example if you have something shipped out of state (when you are not traveling to the other state) to avoid being charged sales tax by an in state vendor, that would be considered sales tax evasion.

It's just tacked onto the purchase price for any amount that ships to a state where they collect sales tax.

16. Xerotech macrumors 6502

They've been collecting tax in Texas for around a year now. It gave me quite a bit of a price hike. It's quite unfortunate, but I'll live. :p

It just gives me more of a reason to go in store.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'm actually happy that Amazon has to charge sales tax. It gives the brick and mortar stores a fighting chance. I admit that even I was using Best Buy as a store room for my Amazon purchases before... some products just need to be handled before you purchase.

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Best Buy price matches Amazon. By the end of 2014, Amazon will collect taxes for all states that have sales tax.

19. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

As much as I didn't mind tax-free purchases from Amazon, in the end I also agree that it's an unfair advantage compared to brick and mortar businesses.

Typical shopper goes display shopping at Best Buy. Then leave Best Buy without buying anything, goes home and then fires up web browser and orders (the same product) tax-free from Amazon. So yes, Amazon had a huge advantage, while the physical retail stores were bleeding to death many going into bankruptcy.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Still gotta pay the tax buddy. Sorry to break it to you.

21. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

True true. Besides, the NSA knows exactly how many panties you people have been purchasing tax-free from Panties-R-Us.com

One might feel that they don't need to report their (untaxed) purchases, but the NSA knows what you bought and when you bought it.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm just saying :) States have been aching to collect the lost revenue and they try to put the onus on the buyer if the seller isn't collecting. I agree that 99.99% of people don't report (and yes I pulled that figure out of the air :D )

23. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

We pay 20% sales tax in the UK. A lot less than most states I believe.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're saying your 20% rate is less then what we pay in the states?

No, I believe the average sales tax is in the 5% range. California probably has the highest and some states like NY and Florida have local and state sales tax that increase the overall tax rate but its still far below 20%

My state (Massachusetts) has 6.125%

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm sure it's just a typo...Mass sales tax is 6.25%.:D