Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has the first $99 discount on Apple's AirPods Max since Black Friday, available for $449.99 in select colors, down from $549.00. Most models can deliver as soon as February 16 with Prime delivery, but others have slipped into a late February delivery estimate.

Airpods-Max-Discount-Feature-Red.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

On Amazon, colors being discounted include Green, Pink, and Silver. You can find a matching sale at Best Buy right now, with similar shipping estimates in most colors. Best Buy's sale is depicted as lasting for one day only, but Amazon's should stay up a little longer.

There are plenty of other AirPods deals happening right now on Amazon. This includes the AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C at $189.99 ($59 off), the AirPods 3 for $139.99 ($29 off), and the AirPods 2 for $89.99 ($39 off). In regards to the AirPods Pro 2 and AirPods 3, these are both all-time low prices on these models.

Apple is rumored to be updating the AirPods Max sometime in 2024, and the new models should be getting a USB-C port and new color options. Our full Deals Roundup has more information on the latest Apple-related sales and bargains.

Article Link: Amazon Takes $99 Off AirPods Max for First Time in 2024, Available for $449.99

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
It's raining deals... too many tea leaves to read. Either new products coming out, or apple has too much inventory, or a new business model. Going to hope for new products for the win.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Ugh, why isn't the blue on sale for that price...

It's raining deals... too many tea leaves to read. Either new products coming out, or apple has too much inventory, or a new business model. Going to hope for new products for the win.

Yeah, I'm in the spot with my APMs where my current set is getting pretty worn, but I don't really want to buy a replacement set if a new gen is just around the corner. Rumors are super sparse outside of "maybe new colors and USB-C sometime".

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Ugh, why isn't the blue on sale for that price...

Yeah, I'm in the spot with my APMs where my current set is getting pretty worn, but I don't really want to buy a replacement set if a new gen is just around the corner. Rumors are super sparse outside of "maybe new colors and USB-C sometime".

My APMs have actually held up quite well, the netting is a tad loose, but I have a hard head anyway and never found them to be uncomfortable. But still, there is a lot of obvious tech that Apple has on other products that it could incorporate in them and I could use a second set for work.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
My APMs have actually held up quite well, the netting is a tad loose, but I have a hard head anyway and never found them to be uncomfortable. But still, there is a lot of obvious tech that Apple has on other products that it could incorporate in them and I could use a second set for work.

Yeah, mine aren't broken, but the white netting is worn and kinda grungy despite attempts to clean it (hence my lament for the price on the blue). They work fine otherwise, but after 3 years battery life obviously isn't what it once was.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
A 3+ year old product for $450 on sale that posters are commenting they might replace their original because of wear. My Beats Studio Wireless 3 are still going strong. And they were $179 and work great. APM is a lux product for showing off how much you spent.

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
worth maybe $300 right now. $449 is still way too much this long after release.
Bullseye; the fact that a product that has been out for as long as it has without any iterative updates along the line is still being sold for $449 is just highway robbery

My APM along with the magic keyboard and mouse are the only things holding me back from ditching lightning for good, so if/when an updated model with USB-C is unveiled sometime this year, I'll be dropping everything and pre-ordering them.

Reactions: DMG35

heyts

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Not entirely sure this is allowed, but in case it is, I have one pair to sell second hand w. light usage. Moving to AirPods Pro convinced me that AirPods Max are slightly too heavy / overkill for my use.

ort888

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
I love my AirPods Max, but buying a pair right now would be insanity. Feels like new ones have to be right around the corner.

I feel like if Apple could make a $300 "budget" version of these they would fly off the shelves...

Reactions: Gengar

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
This product is ancient at 3+ years old. I feel bad for anyone buying one. Has none of the cool features the AirPods Pro 2 have.
Yeah, kind of baffling that Apple didn't even do an iterative update to them like they did to the Pros as of recently to add USB-C to the charging case

If/when they unveil an updated one this year, I'll be there day 1; at least for when it comes to the headphone side of things, I'll then be able to free myself from Lightning (not having USB-C for my AirPods Pro doesn't matter, since the Pro 2's case can be charged wirelessly via Qi or a MagSafe or watch charger)

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
Bullseye; the fact that a product that has been out for as long as it has without any iterative updates along the line is still being sold for $449 is just highway robbery
No, they're just d*** people buying them. I was thinking about buying them too, when they were for roughly 300€ at AmazonIT, but no. I rather wait until fall instead of buying outdated HW. "Max" Headphones without real Lossless Support, just pathetic.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
A 3+ year old product for $450 on sale that posters are commenting they might replace their original because of wear. My Beats Studio Wireless 3 are still going strong. And they were $179 and work great. APM is a lux product for showing off how much you spent.

Happy you like your Beats. It's well recognized the sound quality and noise cancellation of the APM is superior to the Beats so I think your categorization of them as 'showing off how much you spent' is harsh and it might perhaps be more accurate to say about about your budget conscious Beats it's 'showing off how little you spent.' They both have their pros and cons, but given how quickly I would go through cheaper built headphones and how well my APM's have survived, I am fine with paying more for better quality. To each their own. Choice is great.

Reactions: Pasqualem

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021

As everyone knows, Beats headphones are minimalist and not tied to branding at all. 😄

• Love
Reactions: G5isAlive

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Happy you like your Beats. It's well recognized the sound quality and noise cancellation of the APM is superior to the Beats so I think your categorization of them as 'showing off how much you spent' is harsh and it might perhaps be more accurate to say about about your budget conscious Beats it's 'showing off how little you spent.' They both have their pros and cons, but given how quickly I would go through cheaper built headphones and how well my APM's have survived, I am fine with paying more for better quality. To each their own. Choice is great.
Absolutely. It is. It was known at the time the Beats were popular you could get the same quality as Beats for less, or spend around what Beats cost and get better headphones. It is also well recognized that there are headphones as good as the APM for less and that at that price, you can get a higher quality product. Apple is not producing headphones for audiophiles.

I wear my AirPod 3s more than my Beats. But I also don't carry over the ear headphones outside of my home. As to whether my comment about showing off how much you spent being a bit harsh, maybe. However, anyone in the market for $550 headphones, I would assume would ask what they are looking for in a headphone at that price point and would look at the market choices. In doing so, they would likely find other options that were a better value for what you get for your $550, unless you are either looking for an over the ear Apple solution (one choice) or some other factor to your decision making.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
However, anyone in the market for $550 headphones, I would assume would ask what they are looking for in a headphone at that price point and would look at the market choices. In doing so, they would likely find other options that were a better value for what you get for your $550, unless you are either looking for an over the ear Apple solution (one choice) or some other factor to your decision making.

There are many factors that weigh in on personal choice. Sound and comfort are especially subjective factors. So your assertions about better values as if that is the way to go, falls flat to me. Certainly integration into the Apple ecosystem is one consideration, so is quality (ruggedness of build). You never leave the home with your over the ears, I travel the world with mine. And frankly I dont think it 'shows off' any more than Bang&Olufsen or Bowers&Wilkens do. Sure they each send a message, 'I like Apple products' or 'I'm an audiophile', but like I said before choice is great. Maybe if all I used mine for was sitting at home listening to my lossless classical collection I would chose the Bowers & Wilkins. But I need my headphones to travel with me, connect seamless to my computer or phone or tablet, facilitate taking calls, and yes be good at ANC on planes. I chose the APM. Regardless, my original point was it was dismissive (and not informative) to dismiss APM as a lux item to show off how much you spent, stands. I do appreciate the more nuanced discussion you presented in reply.

Reactions: roland.g

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Absolutely. It is. It was known at the time the Beats were popular you could get the same quality as Beats for less, or spend around what Beats cost and get better headphones. It is also well recognized that there are headphones as good as the APM for less and that at that price, you can get a higher quality product. Apple is not producing headphones for audiophiles.

I wear my AirPod 3s more than my Beats. But I also don't carry over the ear headphones outside of my home. As to whether my comment about showing off how much you spent being a bit harsh, maybe. However, anyone in the market for $550 headphones, I would assume would ask what they are looking for in a headphone at that price point and would look at the market choices. In doing so, they would likely find other options that were a better value for what you get for your $550, unless you are either looking for an over the ear Apple solution (one choice) or some other factor to your decision making.

550 won't get you far in the audio world. The APM punch above there weight and have the best transparency in the business, with really good noise canceling which hopefully gets better in version 2.0 and are some of the best headphones for Spatial Audio using Apple Music. To get something better one would be looking at H95 and PX8 of the word and those retail for around 900+ and 700 and thats not even touching higher priced headphones for true audio lovers.

The tricky thing is that unlike visuals where we can all come to a respective standard, hearing and sound quality is unique because everyone ear, head shape and hearing ability is different. To some the APM would sound perfect while the H95 would sound muffled and visa versa. To some the Beats sound better. It's all subjective. It's one of those, you need to physically try them on to see if they click for you. For instance my wife loves her AirPods 3 but hate the APP because she doesn't like the in ear feeling. It's all subjective.

Reactions: roland.g

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I paid $429 for my AirPods Max a couple of years ago in one of the sales. Totally worth it. They are not perfect and I prefer my XM3's for long-haul travel, but for a headset to wear while working from home they are peerless. The transparency mode and microphones for phone calls are excellent - as is the noise canceling.

The Sony XM3's are just a better travel headphone because they can fold, and they make a better seal. With AirPods Max, I find that when I lean my head against the headrest, the seal breaks and noise leaks in. The Sony's have a leather/pleather cup which doesn't do that.

I'm no audiophile, but to my ears they sound excellent. Not everyone loves Spatial Audio, and while not everything sounds better in spatial, I do really enjoy it when it works. Head-tracked spatial is quite amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.