Amazon to buy Whole Foods Market

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AutoUnion39, Jun 16, 2017.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-whole-foods-in-13-7-billion-bet-on-groceries

Whose ready to order avocados with Alexa?

2. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yeah, Amazon just recently added restaurant delivery as well (like Door Dash), looks like they're going all in on all things consumable :)

3. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

i guess the AmazonFresh pickup pilot went well.

4. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

I only go to WholePaycheck to buy certain items. On the surface, this look good if you want stuff delivered to your door, but it could also mean less choice. I remain skeptical, but for now there is still Trader Joe's as alternative, until someone buys them too.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I hope Amazon lowers the prices at Whole Foods. I haven't shopped there in a long time because of their high prices.

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Absolutely brilliant! Amazon was rumored at one point to be eyeing Radio Shack (for the space) just to have a nationwide network of shops for returns and point of sale of most popular items. This takes it one step further and helps them in their initiative to grow their grocery business.

I hope Bezos doesn't stay entirely 'hands off' with Whole Foods. I would love to see some Amazon integration with products, returns, and especially Amazon Pantry.

Yeah, I'm excited about this.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Whole Foods, eh? Let's see, I could by the exact same tomatoes from Whole Foods at $2.99/lb, from Safeway at $1.99/lb, or the bodega down the street for $0.89/lb.

But then again Whole Foods doesn't sell food, they sell an image. :rolleyes:

So, now Amazon will own a chain of grocery stores. Our nouveaux corporate overlords won't stop until they control it all, eh?

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/business/dealbook/amazon-whole-foods.html

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

11. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Where I live near Chicago - everyone is in cahoots, so Tomatoes everywhere is the $2.99/lb.... ;)

Some of the stuff I buy is actually cheaper than the big area groceries but without all the junk ingredients...

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Sounds like a rather ineffective effort. From your link:

I doubt too many people are running around logging into each store's wifi while out and about.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Some stores you can't get signal because of building construction.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I believe part of their strategy is to set regionally competitive prices for some items to get people in the door. Fairly common practice across the board for businesses that can afford it.

If I need a decent selection of cheese on short notice, they're my closest option. And I buy my daily use cooking olive oil from them at a reasonable price. But, good grief, I pay 1/3 the price for my vegetables at my local family grocer, and I strongly suspect they are buying from the same suppliers.

Anyway, I'm sure we can all complain up a storm about them, but Amazon buying them is an...interesting move.

16. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Agreed, but it's an attempt. A few places I eat out do that on their WiFi. They may block a competitor, or some forums, the app store, and probably some social platforms (I don't know for sure). In those cases I swipe up control center, turn off WiFi and move on, then turn it back on to save data.

Best Buy had a policy -- maybe a dozen years ago -- where their employees actively discouraged price-matching when "showrooming" first became possible on earlier mobile devices with web access. That didn't work, of course, and it also turned off a lot of customers. Amazon won't pull it off either. I doubt they'll need to since Whole Foods is a very well-established brand (like Zappos, which Amazon also bought) so they won't need to do much except lightly discourage a few. Won't hurt their core customers. On the other hand, I don't see them lowering prices. Just as folks here pay an "Apple Tax," others are fine with "Whole Food Tax." Even if they want savings, there seems to be a cachet about complaining about their high prices just to signify that you shop there and can afford those high prices.

17. ibookg409 macrumors 6502a

ibookg409

Hopefully this brings costs down. Do I get free home food delivery as an Amazon Prime customer?

18. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Okay, that's a Dad joke. But I laughed.

Now, if he'd only agree to display the movie version of Star Trek's U.S.S. Enterprise (which is in his private collection), he could get it properly restored (for free) by some of the folks who built it.

19. Knighstalker macrumors regular

Knighstalker

I wonder if they are still going to support Apple Pay? If they do, will it become available online also? Either way if they do keep or expand it, maybe it will pressure Walmart, Kroger, and or Safeway to start using it too.

20. Zenithal macrumors 68030

Excellent news.

Which has nothing to do with what's being asked by the user you quoted. That system is for their stores that sell physical non-edible goods. You can't really price compare much except alcohol these days. Furthermore, it's easy to bypass. Just use your network data, not the store's wifi.

Let's not forget that they may be registering this patent to prevent it from being abused by patent trolls. Which is a problem these days.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2017 ---
    They'll probably integrate it through and through. Prime customers can order, and regular WF'ers can sign up for prime and set up regular orders at the store. Both benefit each other. Whole Foods is the only store where I can find Hodgson Mills, Arrowhead Mills, and Bob's Red Mill for cheap, per unit, anywhere including buying in bulk from either company.

21. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I just hope they don't ruin it by getting rid of the variety and filling it up with the same ole generic brands. The only reason I go to Whole Foods occasionally is for interesting ingredients I can't find at regular stores. Produce costs about the same here but there is much more variety and it is often riper. I could care less about the organic fluff I'll buy whichever is cheaper or ripe.

If I want to make Chinese or Indian food. I am SOL at Krogers.

I wonder what will happen with the stores bought by Whole Foods. The one I go to still has its original name but is owned by Whole Foods. I wonder if they will finally have to change the name. It is actually setup quite differently than a Whole Foods inside.

22. jeyf macrumors regular

grocers like Whole Foods have a consistent quality level. All the tomatoes in the box are the same so home delivery is possible.

23. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I went in the Whole Foods I frequent today for a coffee and gelato, I asked if they had the latest Nintendo game - they laughed...

;)

Next time I'm going to ask if they have any "Prime Discounts"... :eek:

24. Abiatha Swelter macrumors newbie

Abiatha Swelter

Trader Joe's got bought out years ago. They're now owned by the same family that controls Aldi in Germany.