MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has announced plans to discontinue its Prime Now delivery app and website by the end of the year. In a blog post, the company said it will fold its quick delivery options into the main Amazon app and website, a shift that has already occurred in India, Japan, and Singapore.

amazon-prime-now.jpg
Prime Now has become a customer favorite, attracting millions of Prime members around the world with ultrafast delivery of everyday essentials, gifts, toys, high quality groceries, and more from Amazon and local stores. To make this experience even more seamless for customers, we are moving the experience from a separate Prime Now app onto the Amazon app and website so customers can shop all Amazon has to offer from one convenient location. Whether it's two-hour delivery from Amazon Fresh, Whole Foods Market, or one of our local stores like Bartell's in Seattle, Morrisons in Leeds, or Monoprix in Paris, Prime members will find what they need alongside the millions of items available on Amazon. Now that the Prime Now experience has a new home on Amazon, we will retire the Prime Now app and website worldwide by the end of this year.
In the U.S., Amazon began making two-hour delivery from Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market available on Amazon in 2019. The company says third-party partners and local stores around the world will be moved onto the main Amazon service by the end of 2021.

The change is part of a wider move to consolidate the company's many grocery services into the main Amazon platform. Amazon in January announced it would be discontinuing its separate Amazon Pantry service and shifting the household goods and grocery services covered by the brand into its main app and website.

Article Link: Amazon to Shut Down Prime Now App and Move Two-Hour Deliveries into Main App

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
I used Prime Now a fair bit a few years ago.

I thought the app was already deprecated as for the past few months it's encouraged former Prime Now users to use the 'Fresh' section of the main Amazon app.

Unfortunately, the 'Fresh' section is a bit of a mess. For example, if I wanted a new Echo I would have to search for it in the app and it would tell me it's available for delivery in a day or two. If I wanted two hour delivery, I would first have to search for Fresh to enter the Fresh section of the app, then search for the product I want.

The whole Prime/Prime Now/Fresh needs to be more transparent, at least in the UK.

Trenches

Suspended
Mar 31, 2021
I used Prime Now a fair bit a few years ago.

I thought the app was already deprecated as for the past few months it's encouraged former Prime Now users to use the 'Fresh' section of the main Amazon app.

Unfortunately, the 'Fresh' section is a bit of a mess. For example, if I wanted a new Echo I would have to search for it in the app and it would tell me it's available for delivery in a day or two. If I wanted two hour delivery, I would first have to search for Fresh to enter the Fresh section of the app, then search for the product I want.

The whole Prime/Prime Now/Fresh needs to be more transparent, at least in the UK.
Whoa. We posted this at the same time. Totally!

TimB21

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
Either:

(a) Prime Now wasn't that popular
or
(b) It was a pain to maintain two apps with similar functions.

Its not complicated.

-=Tim=-

bwayne

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2021
The app they’ve mentioned has never been available in Japan so it’s easy to discontinue it here.

The normal Amazon app is a huge consumer of storage though- right now it’s 1.04GB on my iPhone. I wish there was a way to assign per app storage quotas in iOS.

Reactions: jimbobb24

Jemi9OD

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Durham, NC
When Prime Now was first available in my market, it was really good and had a pretty wide selection of products. But as months turned into years, their inventory just seemed to get worse and worse, and you couldn't find things you actually needed "now" and ended up either just going to the store or ordering from regular Amazon. It was a good concept, but fulfillment was less than fulfilling for me.

MacinMan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
I've never heard of "Prime Now" what exactly is it? I have Amazon Prime, and have always just used the regular site / Amazon shopping App. For music and other audio services, I use my Echo devices, and Alexa. So, must never have been big if I haven't heard about it until now, or it's not available here. After typing this I just thought, Is Prime Now Amazon's Grocery service? I've heard of that (if it is) and from people I've talked to, it's really hit or miss over going to the store.

Last edited:
Reactions: xpxp2002 and Huck

antiprotest

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2010
I've never heard of "Prime Now" what exactly is it? I have Amazon Prime, and have always just used the regular site / Amazon shopping App. For music and other audio services, I use my Echo devices, and Alexa. So, must never have been big if I haven't heard about it until now, or it's not available here. After typing this I just thought, Is Prime Now Amazon's Grocery service? I've heard of that (if it is) and from people I've talked to, it's really hit or miss over going to the store.

Prime Now deliver in two hours instead of two days. It's mainly for groceries but you can get other things. If you need a Kindle, a duffel bag, a keyboard, or something like that right now, you can get it. I stopped using it after they raised the minimum.

MacinMan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
Prime Now deliver in two hours instead of two days. It's mainly for groceries but you can get other things. If you need a Kindle, a duffel bag, a keyboard, or something like that right now, you can get it. I stopped using it after they raised the minimum.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I remember checking into getting household goods such as paper towels, etc, and it said it would be at least a couple weeks if not more. So that's when I decided it wasn't even worth it since I could just go to the store. As far as other items I buy, two day is fine, I've only had one issue, and they re-ordered the lost item at not cost to me, and I got the item on time the second time around.

Macintosh IIvx

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2021
Never really made sense to have a separate app. And seems in the past year, since the pandemic hit, all the 2-hour delivery items have disappeared from Amazon in our area (we have a large distribution center nearby, so it's not for lack of access). The only ones they've still offered have been orders from Whole Foods.

macsimcon

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Hey, United States Government: perhaps instead of going after Apple for a monopoly it DOESN'T have, you should go after Amazon for the monopoly it DOES have?

All companies which gain monopolies do so illegally. Every one. Break Amazon up into 100 different stores for their anti-competitive behavior for the last 25 years. And seizing Bezos' wealth would be a good warning to future monopolists.

How are they anti-competitive, you might ask? How about going decades without turning a profit? How about selling products below cost to put competitors out of business? Both those tactics are illegal. Bezos is a criminal...just like Gates.

Reactions: xpxp2002

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
My sense is that this was never very popular, at least in the UK.
It could have been, but the experience was poor. Especially for food shopping with their partner, Morrisons.

You only got to check delivery slot availability after you’d done your shop. Which was often frustrating as you’d spend 30 minutes filling a basket to be told there was no slots.

They just needed to reverse that process, so you claimed a slot and then shopped. It would have been a real contender for home delivery then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.