Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Just to be clear, Amazon really wants the USB cable and wall adapter with the iPhone or is that just boilerplate text?

It's had a screen protector and case since day one. It is completely flawless. Heck, I could put it back on the original box if they wanted.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Its because the market has been flooded with secondhand iPhone 4Ss, everybody selling theirs in readiness for their new 5 on Friday. I'm not surprised by the price drop, it's simplest of economic theory...supply & demand

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Just to be clear, Amazon really wants the USB cable and wall adapter with the iPhone or is that just boilerplate text?

It's had a screen protector and case since day one. It is completely flawless. Heck, I could put it back on the original box if they wanted.

Yes they do. The USB/adapter also need to be in good condition to get like new and you do need to include the box. They are pretty strict ime when they say "suitable for presenting as a gift"

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
They honor the price that you get locked in at... I did mine last Tuesday and locked all of my four 16GB iPhone 4S' in @ $415 --- today I just got $415 credit for each (separated to 2 different Amazon accounts due to restrictions).

I was kinda worried after I read all of the horror stories / bad reviews about some of the merchants involved with Amazon Trade In -- but my experience was flawless and went smoothly. It took two days for Amazon to get my iPhones once shipped --- two more days to be processed and now I have all my credits.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
My Sprint 4S 32GB is still saying $395. I guess I finally found a benefit for being on the least popular network.

(BTW. I am also locked in at Best Buy trade in online at $354 but they just dropped it down to $310 so my hopes of trading in-store for the iPhone 5 with no need for additional funding are soured. Hopefully they dont drop more on Friday Morning)

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
Amazon just dropped $455 in my account yesterday for the 32 GB iPhone 4S that I sent them. I had valued it at "Like New" condition and took a chance that they would agree...fortunately they did. But I initiated the trade before the iPhone 5 keynote, so prices may have gone down by now.

The phone still had its original box and all original accessories (save the USB cable) were still in plastic wrap. The only flaws on the phone itself were a few of those tiny pinpoint "polish marks" on the antenna band from a polymer case I had it in since day one. Amazon apparently didn't care.

My only problem now: How to get an iPhone 5, since I didn't get the trade credit until after preorder night...

Qoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
MI
glad i sold my 4S to a friend of mine yesterday for $450 :D

16GB AT&T White - IMEI UNLOCKED

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Most people who complain about amazon trade in usually have different perceptions about what's considered "like new" vs "good" condition.

It's like guys I deal with Craigslist all the time. They advertised mint no scratches. When I examine the iPhone. Sure it's in great condition. But there sometimes are a couple of mini nicks caused by hard fitting cases when the phone drops from a fall.

Amazon considers those phones are good and not like new.

I traded in a 16gb 4s one month ago and got $415. Easy. My phone was in like new plus never used any of the accessories.

I picked a 4s 32gb off Craigslist. The guy claimed it was like new. When I examined it. Found 2 nicks. He dropped price to $320 for me. He was selling for $360. I immediately ran video tests and got to show apple retail store battery drained in less than 4 hours so I needed a replacement. Apple gave me a replacement which obviously didn't have the nicks.

So flipped phone for $85 profit. Easy profit. 10 minutes for Craigslist deal who was one mile from my house. Was at mall anyways and went to apple store. 15 minutes later out with new refurbished phone ready to ship to amazon.

I don't really need to do it. It's just a hobby. I just get a kick out of buying/reselling phones. Drives the wife crazy.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
how does it work

hey so i'm looking over the amazon thing....$405 for a 32gb 4s white on at&t but i'm curious as to how the credit works...do i have to spend it on amazon.com? can i cash it out and get a check? i'm kind of at a loss thanks

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
hey so i'm looking over the amazon thing....$405 for a 32gb 4s white on at&t but i'm curious as to how the credit works...do i have to spend it on amazon.com? can i cash it out and get a check? i'm kind of at a loss thanks

They apply it directly to your Amazon.com account -- it can't be transferred and it cannot be used on the Amazon Mobile Store or to purchase any kind of gift cards.

If you want to "cash" it in the best route is to purchase one of the new iPods or something on Amazon and then sell that on eBay for like $15-$20 less than the purchase cost.

But theres plenty of useful things on Amazon so I always spend mine.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
They apply it directly to your Amazon.com account -- it can't be transferred and it cannot be used on the Amazon Mobile Store or to purchase any kind of gift cards.

If you want to "cash" it in the best route is to purchase one of the new iPods or something on Amazon and then sell that on eBay for like $15-$20 less than the purchase cost.

But theres plenty of useful things on Amazon so I always spend mine.

Reselling something u brought with ur amazon credit for a loss defeats using amazon trade in program. U might as well unload it for $20-30 less on Craigslist for quick money.

therationalist

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
I don't get amazon trade-in values for an iphone 4S. My black 32gb verizon phone had a trade in value of $400 yesterday and I check today and it is $225 for the same condition. Why would there be an almost 100% drop in value in a day?

Did you even go to high school? ever heard of something called mathematics?

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Reselling something u brought with ur amazon credit for a loss defeats using amazon trade in program. U might as well unload it for $20-30 less on Craigslist for quick money.

Depends how much you can get through Amazon... Within a few days eBay and Craigslist values will plummet -- while you can be guaranteed Amazon credit.

I always use my gift cards myself so it doesn't matter, was just saying you can get more from Amazon and STILL turn it into cash for $10-$20 if you wanted.

dubs83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Did you even go to high school? ever heard of something called mathematics?

ever heard of mistakes? Probably not because you have never made one.

----------

looks like I'm not eligible for an upgrade after all :( How is it that so many people are/ didn't 4s come out last october? Anyone know how how much the new 5 will cost if not eligible for upgrade? I bought last January under 2-year contract

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

----------

looks like I'm not eligible for an upgrade after all :( How is it that so many people are/ didn't 4s come out last october? Anyone know how how much the new 5 will cost if not eligible for upgrade? I bought last January under 2-year contract
Depends on your carrier. AT&T offers selling a partially subsidized iPhone 5 for for $199/299/399 (16gb/32gb/64gb) plus a $250 early upgrade price plus $36 activation charge.

So looking at $486 for partial upgrade vs $650 for unlocked 16gb no contract iPhone 5.

Plus if u use partial upgrade $486/586/686 price. This time next year u will be in same exact situation cause ur upgrade gets back 18/21 months if u use partial upgrade.

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake

----------

Last January as in 2011 or as in this past January? If it's 2011 I'm assuming you're Verizon then? I know those that bought the 4 when it released with Verizon in Jan 2011 had no luck getting Verizon to up their dates for launch but they were eligible in October sometime.

rshroff2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
I sold my white Sprint 16GB iPhone 4S to Amazon via their trade in service for $411 a month ago... I'm so glad i did it then and didn't wait!

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
if you checked out, yes they will honor it.

It's like this everywhere... once the iPhone is about to launch you will see price drops like that

No they won't always honor it. Sometimes they make up some BS about non-existent scratches, and mail it back to you saying it didn't match the quality.

Way out of the norm for Amazon, I usually find them to be scrupulously honest and provide good service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.