Amazon... ugh

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mathcolo, May 26, 2009.

1. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Hey folks...

So last night I ordered my new Western Digital 500GB Scorpio Blue hard drive for my laptop from Amazon.

When I ordered it, I saw that their "standard shipping", not to be confused with "FREE Super Saver Shipping", was free. "Free Super Saver Shipping" was still an option. However, I couldn't believe they were actually providing real shipping for free. So instead I went with the "Free Super Saver Shipping" because I wanted to be safe.

So then I order it with those options. I get to the order status page and I see this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, as of this morning, it's "Preparing to Ship" and I cannot change the shipping speed now. All I get to do now is wait while Amazon sits on my drive doing nothing with it until someone feels like shipping it. :mad:

Has this happened to anyone else before? Anything I can do? Anything that can make me less mad at myself? -.-

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I've started to notice that Amazon is holding the items as of late. This of course never was the case. Generally within 48 hours, I had my items.

You can try to call them to see if they'll change it for you.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, selecting the free shipping method means they're going to sit on it for a while. I figure this is "punishment" for selecting the free shipping method. I had one order sit in the pipeline for well over a week, so long that I cancelled the order and found it somewhere else.

I think amazon has gotten so big and greedy they've forgotten we can get stuff else where, sometimes cheaper then amazon. I enjoy the buying something there but its getting more trial-some and frustrating.

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Prime is the greatest thing I have ever bought. 80 bucks a year and I split it with a friend, so only 40 out of pocket. Everything is here in 2 days and if I want it overnighted it's only 3 bucks. Definitely worth it if you shop on Amazon a lot, which I do.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Since I got Prime a year or two ago, my use of Amazon has skyrocketed. LOVE IT!

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Ooh...splitting the cost. That's not a bad idea. I wonder if I know anyone who uses Amazon as much as I do...

7. mathcolo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I could try, but what's really the use? I had about an hour on Monday night where I could have changed it, but didn't realize. Now it's preparing and the web site won't let me. :(

Edit: I also cannot cancel the order either... :(

8. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

You can also split it up to 4 ways if I remember correctly. So for 20 bucks it'd be the deal of the century.

9. mathcolo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel Amazon and go and buy it at OWC... any thoughts?

I'll have to call up Amazon to cancel though, and they might not already let me.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Amazon got rid of the Prime sharing deals they had.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmmm, their FAQ shows you can still share it with "family members" that live in the same household. I've got it split with my roommat... errr "cousins". :)

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Are you leaving town before the SHIP date or the expected delivery dates?

13. mathcolo thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was the expected delivery dates, but I got lucky today and it SHIPPED :D.

I cannot believe they fooled me with their stupid estimates again. How lame :p

Anyway, estimated delivery now June 4th. I'll have plenty of time to install, format, and customize by the time I leave.

Thanks guys!