Amazon Updates iOS App With ARKit Support for Augmented Reality Holiday Shopping

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon is preparing its customers for the busy holiday shopping season, posting a detailed plan today on how it aims to help you get the items you want through Alexa voice shopping, curated gift guides, and a new "AR View" in the official Amazon iOS app. AR View was built using Apple's augmented reality developer framework called ARKit, and the company said it's meant to help customers "make better shopping decisions."

[​IMG]

Similar to IKEA Place, Amazon's AR View lets you place virtual versions of real-world products sold on Amazon right into your home, helping you decide whether or not you like the item in a specific living space before you buy it. AR View can be found on the camera icon in the Amazon iOS app, which now has a new "AR View" option. Then you can select from "thousands of items" sold on Amazon, which includes home furniture, toys, Echo products, kitchen electronics, decor, and more.
    ARKit debuted in iOS 11 in September, and you'll need an iPhone 6s or later running iOS 11 to use the new AR View feature in Amazon's iOS app. Target also launched an augmented reality shopping feature last week, but it wasn't in its iOS app and instead debuted in the Target mobile website. Additionally, Target's new "See It In Your Space" option doesn't use ARKit.

Amazon is available to download for free from the iOS App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon Updates iOS App With ARKit Support for Augmented Reality Holiday Shopping

2. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

okay that's lovely Amazon... how's that prime app for the Apple TV coming?

3. MH01 Suspended

MH01

4. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Just came to post the exact same thing!!!

5. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Looks like a US only thing right now. I switched my app from the Canadian store to the US store and the feature showed up, but then the app crashed when I tried to view something. :(

6. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Pretty worthless for actual shopping because it can only be used with the few items that are compatible with AR View.

7. EdT macrumors 68000

EdT

I may be in the minority here but if this is the main use that AR has in a non gaming setting then I’m totally underwhelmed.

8. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I'm kinda thinking of boycotting Amazon until this app is released.

9. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

Me too until I realize I need to buy things.

10. SonicSoundVW macrumors regular

I think I just tried it with my 7. Was I stupid to think it would work? lol