Amazon Video on Mojave.

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by mrdunderhead, May 4, 2019.

1. mrdunderhead macrumors member

mrdunderhead

Use firefox and install silverlight then go to amazon.com your videos and click play and enjoy.

Silverlight isn't compatible with Mojave's Version of safari and will give a error message of unsupported plugin.

2. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

or you can just open safari and watch; works here (on both my macs); silverlight is not required.

3. mrdunderhead thread starter macrumors member

mrdunderhead

Tried fisher king every time you try to load a video from amazon video using safari the latest version of safari displays plugin not supported and locks out the video
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2019 ---
    this is exactly what it does.

Attached Files:

4. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

you mean, every time YOU load a video. this is not a mojave issue, but something you personally are experiencing.

are you running OS 0.14.4? anyway, try uninstalling silverlight, and rebooting. it works here (and has for a long time) and i've not installed silverlight.

if nothing works, make sure silverlight is, at least, up-to-date: https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default

but again, works on my macs without it.

5. mollyc macrumors 68000

I just bought a new MBA yesterday running Mojave and I can open/watch Amazon videos.

6. FredT2 macrumors 6502a

My brother had that problem, but I don't remember what he did to fix it. He was running on an older iMac, so maybe that was the problem. Anyway I do not have Silverlight installed on my Mac and Amazon video plays fine in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

7. chabig macrumors 603

Silverlight has been dead for years now. It’s not compatible with “The Internet”!

8. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

as i said, uninstall it, reboot, try amazon... which should work if silverlight is not trying to get in there, and do... nothing (but not play video)...

9. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

I'm on a cMP 5,1 running High Sierra and can not watch Amazon videos (Acorn) on Safari. Using Firefox fixes the issue.

Lou

10. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

which mac is that exactly? and what's acorn? anyway, perhaps some hardware issue? (ie graphics card on some macs?)...

11. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

12. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

^^^^Don't think so. OP is having the same issue.

Lou

13. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

right, but there are other posts on this same thread (including mine) that are not having this issue. so it's not universal, and suggests something else. up to you whether you want to deal with it, or ignore the facts.

14. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

^^^^Look fella - I only posted to ratify the OPs post. I have had the issue for some time, and rather than run and post about it, I checked Google after experiencing the issue. It appears that some folks have it and some don't. Nobody has run it to ground.

Rather than spend any more time troubleshooting it, I just use Firefox. It works and that's that. This will be my last post to this thread. I really don't have the time or inclination to argue.

Lou

15. crjackson2134, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019

crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

Safari used to work just fine for prime video, with Microsoft’s Silverlight extension plugin installed. However, Apple updated Safari in such a way the that Silverlight can not be utilized.

The real problem is due to the inability to decode DRM video. Newer mac’s Have Intel’s Quick Sync technology (built into the cpu). Some machines don’t have a Quick Sync enabled CPU (cMP), and require a DRM Management tool in order to decode the video. That tool was Silverlight for the Safari browser, but Apple killed it. Decoding plug-ins will work on Firefox and other browsers that support Silverlight. Firefox is my goto for watching protected streaming services. Apple Safari is the problem. Apple could have let it continue working on machines the don’t have Quick Sync.
    --- Post Merged, May 6, 2019 ---
    That’s only because YOUR particular machine has Quick Sync enabled CPU.
    --- Post Merged, May 6, 2019 ---
    And those people have Quick Sync enabled systems.

16. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

or, conversely, it's because some machines don't have a quick sync enabled CPU. but thanks for the information; more useful than abstract arguing...

17. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

Silverlight works perfectly fine regardless of development status.

18. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider