Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So I impulse purchased a Sony 24-70 f2.8 G Master lens for my upcoming trip to the US.

Bought on Prime, next day delivery. It arrived I got excited, opened the box and blow me....

Not only was the lens I bought "new" previously opened but whomever bought it before me had actually stuck their used 24-70 f4 in the box, sent it back to Amazon and kept the G Master!!!

How disgusting is that?

So watch out folks. A tip of the hat to camera shops where you see what you buy before parting with cash. I now have a lot of money tied up in the Amazon refund process... so beware...

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I try to buy my gear from stores that are mostly camera shops. Amazon is like a department store. I've heard of stories like that with department stores where someone switches the gear in the box.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I bought cameras and related locally, from stores in other states and also via Amazon. I guess I was very fortunate that all of my purchases went without a hitch (other than delivery off by a day or two twice).

Let us know how it goes with Amazon and if they provide any explanation why you bought a "new" lens and yet they fulfilled it with an obvious return item.

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
That really sucks. I hope the appendage who did it gets what's coming to them.

I hope so mate! I absolutely hate ******s like that who take the proverbial because they can. Thing is, if they have the 24-70 f4 lens then they are spending serious cash on gear.

Apparently this is a major problem for online indirect sales. People apparently buy stuff like say clothes, wear them a few times then return them as faulty! the shipping scam is a classic...

Item gets delivered, wait a day then ring in and say hang on, my shipment says delivered but I havent got it... costs retailers a fortune and drives up the prices for the rest of us.

I was so gutted. I hope they contact sony, see who registered the cheap lens for the warranty based on serial number, and then cross reference against their sales records. If the same person bought the f2.8, then go after them...

Grrr!!! another example of the minority spoiling it for the rest of us!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I hope so mate! I absolutely hate ******s like that who take the proverbial because they can. Thing is, if they have the 24-70 f4 lens then they are spending serious cash on gear.

Apparently this is a major problem for online indirect sales. People apparently buy stuff like say clothes, wear them a few times then return them as faulty! the shipping scam is a classic...

Item gets delivered, wait a day then ring in and say hang on, my shipment says delivered but I havent got it... costs retailers a fortune and drives up the prices for the rest of us.

I was so gutted. I hope they contact sony, see who registered the cheap lens for the warranty based on serial number, and then cross reference against their sales records. If the same person bought the f2.8, then go after them...

Grrr!!! another example of the minority spoiling it for the rest of us!
My company sell on Amazon. You'd be amazed at what goes on.
Like the fake product some Chinese company were selling for months despite us telling Amazon it was a fake. Got it stopped eventually but cost us £1000's.

Then we get returns which we didn't supply because Amazon don't track serial numbers so the return is years old and we can't get a replacement from the manufacturer.

Then there are people listing products much cheaper than everyone else which they won't supply, but they still top the charts due to being cheapest.

And don't even get me started on the fines....

Good luck with your lens Ken, but remember if you want quality it should be made by Nikon ;)

Reactions: rx7dude and kenoh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, these days, I'm not either - it is more a case of striking when opportunity arises.

Actually, none of my Leica glass was bought new.
I could say the same for my Nikon gear.

Back on topic here is a picture of an £81 ColorChecker passport we sell on Amazon. It was returned to them and they sent it back to us as the supplier for credit (which they take straight from you). Notice it's more than passing resemblance to a calculator worth around £2.
IMG_2988.JPG

Of course that's a customer stealing from Amazon and not realising it's the poor supplier that will be out of pocket.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
He's not that rich!

I have Leica glass remember....
[doublepost=1478726816][/doublepost]
Well, these days, I'm not either - it is more a case of striking when opportunity arises.

Actually, none of my Leica glass was bought new.

I am not going to comment... :)
[doublepost=1478727018][/doublepost]

Back on topic here is a picture of an £81 ColorChecker passport we sell on Amazon. It was returned to them and they sent it back to us as the supplier for credit (which they take straight from you). Notice it's more than passing resemblance to a calculator worth around £2. View attachment 671218

Of course that's a customer stealing from Amazon and not realising it's the poor supplier that will be out of pocket.

Absolutely... So latest is I got my refund then got a snotagram from Amazon asking to to contact them about returning damaged goods to them for a refund!!! I unleashed hell at them about yet again not reading the records or my letter enclosed with the return.

I got a rather meek please disregard this message response from them once I suggested they may be liable for passing off goods as new when they are restocked.

They have apologised profusely...

Tired of them
[doublepost=1478727090][/doublepost]

Back on topic here is a picture of an £81 ColorChecker passport we sell on Amazon. It was returned to them and they sent it back to us as the supplier for credit (which they take straight from you). Notice it's more than passing resemblance to a calculator worth around £2. View attachment 671218

The crook who replaced my item was a bit more subtle but man, this is easy for someone with no clue to spot! No excuse

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Absolutely... So latest is I got my refund then got a snotagram from Amazon asking to to contact them about returning damaged goods to them for a refund!!! I unleashed hell at them about yet again not reading the records or my letter enclosed with the return.

I got a rather meek please disregard this message response from them once I suggested they may be liable for passing off goods as new when they are restocked.

Tired of them
The crook who replaced my item was a bit more subtle but man, this is easy for someone with no clue to spot! No excuse

Mea culpa.

Yes, of course you have Leica glass.

I can only plead a strange case of mental (and possibly emotional, too) distraction today; suffice to say, I feel somewhat out of sorts.

Last edited:
Reactions: needfx and kenoh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Tired of them
They don't even look. They don't care as they aren't the ones loosing out!

As for the Leica glass, as long as you hide the receipts from Mrs Ken your all good!

When do you get back home?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
They don't even look. They don't care as they aren't the ones loosing out!

As for the Leica glass, as long as you hide the receipts from Mrs Ken your all good!

When do you get back home?

Get back Monday 14th. In Vegas right now. Heading to NYC day after tomorrow... But it's OK guys, I've got this, I have taken this one for the team... Lol..

I really want to play this one down as I don't like rubbing it in.. but OH MY GOD!!! This trip is blowing my mind! It is AWESOME!!!!

Someone needs to throw some abuse at me to get me back out of the clouds!

Reactions: MacRy and needfx

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Get back Monday 14th. In Vegas right now. Heading to NYC day after tomorrow... But it's OK guys, I've got this, I have taken this one for the team... Lol..

I really want to play this one down as I don't like rubbing it in.. but OH MY GOD!!! This trip is blowing my mind! It is AWESOME!!!!

Well don't blow all your camera fund on the roulette wheel!

Have fun.

Reactions: kenoh and needfx

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands

Fake scot with a bad eye for images!!

(will that do?)

Reactions: kenoh and needfx

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Fake scot with a bad eye for images!!

(will that do?)

Perfect! This has been a blast so far. I went on the rollercoaster on top of the New York New York hotel night before last.... Scared the little out of me... But it was awesome!

Pictures will be drip fed over the coming weeks

Reactions: MacRy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Perfect! This has been a blast so far. I went on the rollercoaster on top of the New York New York hotel night before last.... Scared the little out of me... But it was awesome!

Pictures will be drip fed over the coming weeks
No chance. When you get home you'll have no time for photo editing! I trust you have secured suitable gifts for all the girls back home!

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
This is not only an issue with online sales, it also happens with store bought goods. I was given a coffee maker as a gift. Opened it and it looked used and was missing a part. What we think happened was that someone broke theirs, bought a new one, then put the old one in the box and returned it to the store for a refund. The store obviously did a superficial check and put the box back on the shelf.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.