Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Why should I buy a new iBook at the Apple Store for 999 when I can get one at Amazon.com for almost 100 cheaper. Why is this? Its cheaper bc there is an instatnt discount of 20 and then a mail in rebate of 50.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
rye9 said:
Why should I buy a new iBook at the Apple Store for 999 when I can get one at Amazon.com for almost 100 cheaper. Why is this? Its cheaper bc there is an instatnt discount of 20 and then a mail in rebate of 50.

Well, if you don't want an amazon.com card (or if you already have one), then you don't get the $20 discount. Apple has free shipping, but Amazon might not charge you sales tax, depending on where you're shipping.

I generally buy from the Apple store to get the .edu discount, but I'd gladly buy from a reputable retailer such as Amazon if I could get a better price.

jmulls

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2004
New Jersey
wordmunger said:
Well, if you don't want an amazon.com card (or if you already have one), then you don't get the $20 discount. Apple has free shipping, but Amazon might not charge you sales tax, depending on where you're shipping.

I generally buy from the Apple store to get the .edu discount, but I'd gladly buy from a reputable retailer such as Amazon if I could get a better price.

I buy Apple products from amazon all the time as long as it isn't BTO. The free shipping and no sales tax beats apple.com.

jm

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
jmulls said:
I buy Apple products from amazon all the time as long as it isn't BTO. The free shipping and no sales tax beats apple.com.

jm
Amazon.com does not provide BTO optios on Apple products, but they have much better return policy.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Amazon is indeed a great source for Apple stuff--and other tech products. Hardware, software, etc.--the often have the best price around.

Use Apple.com if you wish to customize build-to-order, or if you qualify for Apple's big student/educator discounts.

(Apple's other promos and deals generally apply no matter WHERE you buy from.)

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Amazon has a great return policy. But only Apple can BTO, and I always BTO something. So I end up buying from Apple to bump up the HD or whatever.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I bought my PB on apple's site. I think that both sites give free shipping on products over $50. Apple's educational discount made it more worthwhile than amazon. Plus, I don't like mail-in rebates; have had bad experiences with them before. Even if amazon were a bit cheaper through mail-in rebates, I'd still go apple, to drop in a little more cash for peace of mind.

I should looking into that A9 thing though...

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
mcarnes said:
Amazon has a great return policy. But only Apple can BTO, and I always BTO something. So I end up buying from Apple to bump up the HD or whatever.
Never really liked the BTO option at Apple.com as it is not-returnable.
The worst is FREE iPod engraving, they mind as well engraved "not-returnable" right on your iPod.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Lucky8 said:
Never really liked the BTO option at Apple.com as it is not-returnable.
The worst is FREE iPod engraving, they mind as well engraved "not-returnable" right on your iPod.

Well, my daughter lost her iPod once, and the way she got it back was because of the engraving. Seems like a reasonable precaution to take for such an expensive product.

And regarding BTO, do you know any other retailer where you can get an 80 GB HD installed in an iBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.