Amazon's Alexa App Finally Gains Support for iPhone X

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon today updated its Alexa app for iOS devices to introduce iPhone X compatibility, allowing the app to be displayed full screen on the longer display of the iPhone X.

Prior to today, the Amazon Alexa app displayed unattractive black bars at the bottom and top of the app, so this should be a welcome change for Amazon users who have an iPhone X. The addition of Alexa support comes just over a month after Amazon promised the update was in the works.

[​IMG]

The Alexa app for iOS is designed to be a companion to Alexa devices, allowing iPhone users to set up and manage Alexa-enabled equipment.

While many popular apps have been updated with support for the display of the iPhone X, there are still some notable holdouts even months after the release of the new smartphone. Inbox by Gmail, for example, continues to lack iPhone X support, as do several Apple apps, including iTunes Connect, iTunes Remote, and AirPort Utility.

Article Link: Amazon's Alexa App Finally Gains Support for iPhone X

2. mrcrlee macrumors regular

I am disappointed in the lack of iPhone X support for Inbox app.

3. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

It's still weird we have TWO Alexa apps... this one and REVERB. Just merge the two.

4. Kkspire macrumors newbie

So many falsehoods recently. iMovie is certainly updated at minimum.

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Are both from Amazon?

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Reverb is not an official one. Is made by a third party. Also, you can’t use alexa on the alexa app. It’s a companion app to the echo devices to set up skills/play stuff manually/etc.

7. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

AirPort Utility hasn’t even been updated for the 10.5” iPad Pro. I had to use it the other day and noticed that everything was slightly zoomed. I’ve become accustomed to apps being updated for it so it stood out. I doubt it will ever be updated because Apple hates their wireless routers now for some reason.

8. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

9. Seoras macrumors 6502

Seoras

It's really not that difficult. I don't see what all the fanfare is about for something that takes a dev a couple of hours to do.

10. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

Nice to see the notch acceptance by devs. Now that many android manufacturers also sport a notch it makes sense to accomodate for it and use that extra space wisely.

11. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

I dumped Inbox for this reason. I use Spark now.

12. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

Exactly. Just to, at a minimum, support for iPhone X.

13. mujtaba.mir macrumors 6502a

mujtaba.mir

Correction here: iMovie was updated for iPhone X screens a couple of weeks back.

14. Aston441 macrumors 65816

What? Reverb is a privately developed app. Anyone can tie into Alexa is they want. The only issue is that you can't play music through your own Alexa app. Amazon won't let anyone do that.

15. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

To iPhone X users: do you ever get used to this annoying little swipe up bar at the bottom? Every time I see an image of it my OCD kicks in lol there should be an option to disable or have it fade out

16. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

17. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

I hate it and it ruins my experience playing games like asphalt it’s always there

18. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I guess some things are just beyond human understanding... the purpose for the lines at Nazca, Siberian sinkholes, and why some people have no problem with a portion of their screen being notched out but a thin gray bar superimposed at the bottom of the screen is annoying. :confused: rotflmao.gif
    The notch is always there too. ;)

The more irritating aspect of the Alex app is placing those bottom icons on a black background. That gives the visual appearance of a bottom bezel with soft touch buttons. That looks very "natural" for Android handsets, but on the iPhone X it looks quite out of place.

19. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

Actually it is associated with Amazon. You log into the Reverb app with your Amazon credentials. Whether or not Amazon allowed another company to develop it makes no difference, as it is officially supported

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Don't understand why you quote me?

21. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Again it is NOT supported by Amazon. They provide the SDK only. You can stick it in whatever you want. You can stick it in your toaster. Apple can stick it in their iPhone... wow I wish Apple would stick it in their iPhone.

https://github.com/alexa/avs-device-sdk