Amazon's cloud strikes first

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmat, Mar 29, 2011.

1. bmat macrumors 6502

Wow. Amazon trumped Apple with the cloud computing. On the front page Amazon has their cloud up with an android app. Here's hoping iOS 5 follows suit soon.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

They trumped Google as well. US only though, so epic Fail ;)

3. TJMeier macrumors member

Looking good. uploaded an album that I didn't buy from amazon. Plays fine on the computer, but won't play in iOS safari.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Meh. This still seems like a very minor nice to have backup solution to me.

I really hope that this isn't considered to be a big play of iOS5.

Phazer

5. Sedrick, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Apple gets beaten to the punch again with its glacial development pace.
    I still don't see the point in putting all your music 'in the cloud' when you have your phone with you at all times and if you're home, you have all your tunes there. Streaming from your phone is idiotic when you'll have to pay data charges to listen.

6. Savor Suspended

Savor

There are other cloud services that offer free 2 GB of storage, ya know? Let's not make it sound Amazon invented it. Of course this is useful. There are people with a library of 10,000 songs or have it on a high bit-rate and whatever GB may never be enough. This provides a bottomless pit.

This is a big deal to me mainly because I prefer getting my digital music from Amazon over iTunes. They sometimes offer $2 of free music. I have multiple accounts and prices are always reasonable. You get 20 GB storage if you buy an album. Easy to transfer to other devices instead of using Sharepod to take the song off our iDevices.

Android users are lucky to have it first. Considering Google doesn't even have their own music store, this is more convenient coming from Amazon which already established its music store. Much more practical than Simplify Media from three years ago.

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Couldn't agree more with your comment lad.

8. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Well Apple did buy LaLa I'm sure it's going to be integrate into iOS 5

Most people have unlimited data on their phones so that's not a big deal, also not everyone has all their music on there phone. I know some people that have over 100GB of music on their iTunes. So being able to stream some of their music for free is a great idea.

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

Is this online storage only for mp3 files?

Can you add video files?

10. Demosthenes X, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Apple has always been about doing things right, not necessarily first. This is not new.

In any event, I'm not interested until Cloud Drive has a desktop app that resembles Drop Box. Cloud storage is nothing new, but Drop Box lets me backup to the cloud without having to think about it. That's worth a lot.

I am excited by Amazon's pricing, though. Dropbox is $20/month for 100 GB compared to Amazon's $8.50/month... hopefully this causes DB to reevaluate its pricing schemes. :)

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It is not a bad service by Amazon and the prices are high but not a bad starting point for other services to beat price-wise

Glad Amazon did it

12. dizzy130 macrumors member

Not really interested. I mostly listen to music on the subway so I need it synced to my phone.

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Even if Apple or Google releases their own cloud services, I would still prefer purchasing digital music from Amazon. Interface on iTunes is better and easier to use, but you can't beat Amazon's prices compared to iTunes and is more unrestricted (drag & drop-ready). Buy an album and you get 20 GB for a year. That is solid.

I love when Amazon promoted a $5 giftcard for their movies back in December. Rent or buy. Even if they are DRM, I still got the 1994 cult classic, The Stoned Age, for FREE and that movie still makes me LMAO after not seeing it for years.

Amazon rocks. Great place to buy subsidized phones and memory cards as well.

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

wow seriously? there are no unlimited data options in some countries

15. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Which ones? I was under the impression eveyone had unlimited data.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Totally, battery life and data usage aside (and I have unlimited) the simple fact that if you lose your connection for a second means you're cut off from your media. No thanks.

17. megapopular macrumors 6502a

It's about who strikes the hardest, not who strikes first.

Apple's iteration of cloud based services will probably destroy Amazon's offering.