Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon's Alexa assistant will soon be able to open Android and iOS apps using voice commands, thanks to a new feature called Alexa for Apps that Amazon is launching for app developers as of today.

alexamobileapps.jpg

With Alexa for Apps, iPhone and Android users can make requests using the Alexa app, Alexa built-in phones, or Alexa accessories like Echo Buds and interact directly with mobile apps similar to Siri or Google Assistant.

On iPhones and Android phones, Alexa would serve as an alternative to the voice assistants built into the smartphones by default, and Amazon envisions the feature being used for voice searches and activating app functionality.

For example, an iPhone user might ask Alexa to open Twitter and search for a specific hashtag. The skill will open up the Twitter app on the iPhone and then display a list of results that can be scrolled through rather than a voice response. Or, in TikTok, a user might ask Alexa to start a recording, which would then allow for hands-free video capture.

Alexa for Apps can be implemented into any app that can be opened with deep links, and Amazon says that the feature is being added to experiences for TikTok, Yellow Pages, Uber, Sonic, Zynga, Volley, and more.

According to Amazon, Alexa for Apps works in mobile apps with content that can be opened through deep links, and it can be utilized by adding Alexa for Apps to a custom skill, but developers will need to apply to the program to add the feature to their apps.

Amazon has several other Alexa-related announcements that it's sharing today as part of Alexa Live, a developer-focused Alexa event.

Article Link: Amazon's New 'Alexa for Apps' Feature Lets iPhone Users Ask Alexa to Launch Apps

Last edited:

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I've been a Google whore for several years but I have to admit, Alexa works 1000% better than my Google hub any day of the week. Also not to mention Alexa seems to be much more compatible with different hardware platforms vs Google. I'm looking forward to trying this new Alexa feature out.

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Beating Siri is a VERY low bar for Alexa... I look forward to a voice assistant on my iPhone that does what I ask it - more often than not.

Reactions: kyleh22

iKnowDJZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I'm still holding out home for a decent interface to manage all the home devices, the endless list of devices and scenes that pop up in the Alexa iOS app is ridiculous.

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011
To be clear, this update is because the next iOS update will let me change who provides my voice assistant?

Because if I have to launch an app to ask Alexa something why didn't I just launch the app I am requesting?

leicaman

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA

Amazon's Alexa assistant will soon be able to open Android and iOS apps using voice commands, thanks to a new feature called Alexa for Apps that Amazon is launching for app developers as of today.

alexamobileapps.jpg

With Alexa for Apps, iPhone and Android users can make requests using the Alexa app, Alexa built-in phones, or Alexa accessories like Echo Buds and interact directly with mobile apps similar to Siri or Google Assistant.

On iPhones and Android phones, Alexa would serve as an alternative to the voice assistants built into the smartphones by default, and Amazon envisions the feature being used for voice searches and activating app functionality.

For example, an iPhone user might ask Alexa to open Twitter and search for a specific hashtag. The skill will open up the Twitter app on the iPhone and then display a list of results that can be scrolled through rather than a voice response. Or, in TikTok, a user might ask Alexa to start a recording, which would then allow for hands-free video capture.

Alexa for Apps can be implemented into any app that can be opened with deep links, and Amazon says that the feature is being added to experiences for TikTok, Yellow Pages, Uber, Sonic, Zynga, Volley, and more.

According to Amazon, Alexa for Apps works right away in mobile apps with content that can be opened through deep links, and it can be utilized by adding Alexa for Apps to a custom skill.

Amazon has several other Alexa-related announcements that it's sharing today as part of Alexa Live, a developer-focused Alexa event.

Article Link: Amazon's New 'Alexa for Apps' Feature Lets iPhone Users Ask Alexa to Launch Apps
Beating Siri is a VERY low bar for Alexa... I look forward to a voice assistant on my iPhone that does what I ask it - more often than not.

Sure, let Alexa report everything you say to Amazon. Listen to every conversation. Track your every move and comment. No thanks.

And Siri is way better than people seem to think.

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I'd love to know the actual source of where the "but muh privacy" posts come from whenever the dismal state of Apple AI (or rather the complete lack thereof) is discussed.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I'd love to know the actual source of where the "but muh privacy" posts come from whenever the dismal state of Apple AI (or rather the complete lack thereof) is discussed.
Apple’s machine learning and AI are built around proof of concept products like FaceID, face tracking or face recognition. Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant are voice assistants.

Reactions: icanhazmac

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
The title of this article is:

"Amazon's New 'Alexa for Apps' Feature Lets iPhone Users Ask Alexa to Launch Apps"

A more accurate version would be:

"Amazon's New 'Alexa for Apps' Feature Lets iPhone Users Ask Alexa to Launch Apps whilst simultaneously tracking everything they do and everything they say for the sole purpose of making money for Amazon and sod your privacy and that of anyone who's stupid enough to walk into your house"

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
“Alexa, why is Siri so crappy?!”
It is crappy-ish, but lately for what I use it, it’s spot on and realistically convenient: reminders, timers, calendars events, play a music playlist by name and shuffle... and I guess that’s it.

leicaman

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA

Well, for starters from people who know Google does not respect their privacy. From their long track record of violating privacy. From one of their founders saying, "If you didn't do anything wrong, then you wouldn't have to worry if people are snooping on you." Words of an autocrat.

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Apple’s machine learning and AI are built around proof of concept products like FaceID, face tracking or face recognition. Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant are voice assistants.

Excellent point. Siri AI remains pitiful though. Maybe they need to move some of their faceID people over to Siri.

or better yet, just license Alexa and replace Siri alltogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.