Amber Alerts on Apple Watch S4 without service plan?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by RonFromOregon, Oct 3, 2018.

1. RonFromOregon macrumors member

I know I can use my Apple Watch with Cellular to call 911 even if I don't have a service plan. Will I also receive Amber Alerts? Other emergency alerts?

2. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

You will find out today at 2:18 p.m EDT when they send out the Trump Alert.

3. RonFromOregon thread starter macrumors member

Unless the watch is connected (paired) to the phone. In that case, the alert will come through the phone to the watch and avoid any potential use of the watch's cellular capability.

4. tromboneaholic, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018

tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

True.
    In answer to your question, I would assume the watch won't get it. I read that the only people who won't get the alert are people whose wireless carrier is not participating.
    Without service, your watch isn't actually assigned to a carrier that is participating.
    I believe the Trump Alert uses the same system as Emergency and Amber alerts.

5. RonFromOregon thread starter macrumors member

6. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Interesting. Maybe consider turning of wifi on the watch to see if it's actually using cellular rather than wifi.
    Should be an interesting experiment.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2018 ---
    From AppleInsider:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...tial-alert-coming-to-your-iphone-on-wednesday

The Presidential alert should sound like the AMBER and weather alerts Americans are used to, but with some important differences. It can't be turned off, and will even reach phones that aren't activated or are missing a SIM card. Only devices that are fully powered off or in the middle of a phone call should go undisturbed.

If you own an Apple Watch, you may also see the alert appear there, so long as it's connected to your iPhone.