Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pick One

• Total voters

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I haven't tried either but both updated their apps recently and I'm interested. Has anyone tried both and if so, which do you find better and why? If you don't have both, which one do you have and how do you like it?

BikeRanger

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Don't own either

Have some ambient nature sounds (ocean, river, etc.) in iTunes, set to repeat. Like that solution better because the tracks can be used from my iPhone or MBP.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Considering both are a $1, I can hardly complain.

I recently bought Ambiance and a Sony docking Alarm Clock just for it.

The sounds seem basic. Ocean didn't thrill me, too hard on white noise than soothing. The fan and machine are nice and different from sound machines I've had. Rain, simple, but good. Creek, sounds good, but haven't used it, with like something a little slower and suddle. Waterfall, sounds like a big one.

One annoyance is all the different white noises, like Pink Noise, Violent Noise, etc, that are scattered throughout. So if you want to browse the sounds while play, they are pretty startling.

Though, update doubles the amount of sounds and haven't tried it yet. But for the cost, buying both apps would be a no brainer.

Also, there's this 3rd app that just came out. But until Apple releases their 1.1 update, the sounds have a noticeable hick-up when they repeat.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=288353538&mt=8

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Both apps are good, though I like Ambience's better. They were also both just updated to add sounds. The downside is that they're large (aSleep is now 172MB, Ambience 56MB) so they take a lot of time to install/update. I'd like to see them provide a way to permanently delete sounds that I know I'm never going to use to save space.

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
I own both and prefer aSleep.

aSleep seems to have more natural sounding noises to me, and the update yesterday just added lots more to it.

thatdude90210

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
There's a beach in my pocket. :)

The new "coast" sound in Ambiance is pretty nice, I have it going right now with the timer set. It's kinda funny with people wondering where the bird and ocean sound is coming from.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
This is an understatement! I bought aSleep last night because I couldn't....well....sleep and it took 40 mins to download and install.

Maybe that's their intention. "Can't sleep? Watch our app install!" :D

rigodamdiculous

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Bought Both

I prefer Ambiance's interface, though for this type of app, it's not that important.
They both have the same features.

aSleep has a larger selection/variety of sounds (including some music and meditation), some of which seem...well...non-sleepy to me, but that's subjective.
Both are of very high quality.
It really comes down to what you find relaxing and I'm not sure but I don't think either developer has samples available.

I pretended they were one app that cost two bucks - less than I pay for a cup of coffee to wake myself up, love all the options, feel it was totally worth it.
Taking both recent updates into consideration, aSleep currently has the edge for the variety.
Here's hoping they keep trying to one-up each other for a while!

thetoothfairy

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
I own both but like aSleep much better.... my reason is because I like the look and feel of aSleep better than the other one.... matter of fact I took off the other one and just have aSleep on my phone now...

noisebleed

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
i own both, since i require white noise ( noise with no rhythm basically like a fan or rain ) to sleep.

ambience sucks.

asleep's sounds are a lot more crisp, louder and better...

the rain and thunder ones are the best.

i use the rain everyday now... works like a charm.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I decided to get aSleep since everyone who owns both thinks aSleep is better. I sent an email to the developer this morning suggesting a keyboard tapping sound added to the next version and he responded within a couple hours that it would be in the next version. Nice!

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
I fly about 125k miles a year and was really happy to see both these apps hit the store. I purchased both. Perfect for covering up crying kids, whining kids, whining adults, etc.

As someone mentioned, aSleep has really clear sounds. Also, the sounds do not sound they are repeating as quickly as ambiance. Sometimes I cannot figure out where the repeat even is.

IMHO aSleep is considerably better than Ambiance.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I own ambiance, but I think I might get aSleep as well after reading the good reviews here. The downsize is that the app itself takes up more space than all works by most artists that I have.

Lucca

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I have ambiance and really like it, but your good reviews of asleep convinced me to purchase it. It's currently downloading and installing now.

I mean, since both are 1 buck a pop, what do I have to lose? :) (well, besides 1 buck but still.)

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
confused as to why anyone would pay for these apps. you do know your iphone/ipod can PLAY mp3s right? its just like all the people buying up those crappy restaurant tip apps. um hello calculator?

Lucca

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
confused as to why anyone would pay for these apps. you do know your iphone/ipod can PLAY mp3s right? its just like all the people buying up those crappy restaurant tip apps. um hello calculator?

Well, yes, but most likely you still have to pay for those mp3s. It's probably the fact that the apps themselves are rather cheap that make them appealing. I know I would not be buying them if they were more than a buck.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i love to listen to the "beach" on aSleep when i'm outside trying to tan, it makes me feel like i'm actual at the beach lol (the birds r kinda annoying tho)

noisebleed

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008

please find me a decent nature album. i can't find them on itunes nor torrents nor google.

also please find me a nature album that is 99 cents.

( downloading mp3s is legal in canada, sorry americans if you can't talk about it )

either way, there is none!

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
please find me a decent nature album. i can't find them on itunes nor torrents nor google.

also please find me a nature album that is 99 cents.

( downloading mp3s is legal in canada, sorry americans if you can't talk about it )

either way, there is none!

Try Nature Sound Series or Sounds of the Earth. I downloaded from iTunes and have them on my iPhone at all times. I love the Loons and Campfire Night the best. If you have Simplify Media...let me know your screen name and I will accept you so that you can at least listen or use them at your desire.

SN: rngrtristan

Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.