Ambient Light Sensor 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by remedy1978, Jun 23, 2009.

1. remedy1978 macrumors newbie

I think some other forum members have mentioned this, but the ambient light sensor on the 3GS does not seem to be working correctly.

On my 3G, it was bright enough for me to read. Now it is pretty dim and not bright enough for me to read. To keep it about the same, I have the slider in the middle of the bar instead of towards the left.

Anyone else experience this with their 3GS?

Thanks!

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

My 1st 3GS did this so I swapped it out. Guess what? The new one does it too.

I have a feeling it's a firmware bug.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

same here. I gave up on using auto. I moved the slider to approximate the average brightness I used to get with the 3G and it works ok. not ideal but...

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

What's weird is that my wife's phone hardly ever has the problem. It happens occasionally to her, but 10X more on my phones. Must be my giant man hands blocking the sensor more often.

5. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Ive noticed its always too bright or too dim.... Its never right....

my 2g was perfectly in sync with what my sore eyes wanted to see.

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

My 3G was always perfect brightness too. I suspect that they either did this to conserve battery or it is just a bug.

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Another weird thing is that the home screen is always nice and super bright and then as soon as the phone is unlocked it is very dim if in a dark place.

However, sometimes I go into a few apps and all of a sudden the brightness kicks on.

Definitely seems to be something haywire with auto brightness in FW 3.0 with the 3GS hardware.

8. rubdom macrumors member

9. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

did you just go into the apple store and say "hey the ambient light sensor sucks..." and they swapped it? cuz i want to do this if possible. mostly because i dropped my phone and there is a big ding in the side.

10. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

LMAO. Yes, they swapped it when I told them that the ambient light sensor was sucking and the phone was constantly too dim to use in the dark, but remember my replacement has the same problem so in all likelihood your replacement will still have the problem.

As to you dropping your phone, you know better than to walk around with a $700 phone without a case, don't you? :D

11. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

oh yes i do, but the case i bought was horrible so i decided to get a new one, well i hadnt bought a new one yet and the other one felt like it was scratching my baby so i decided to take the diaper off lol. well not lol anymore.