Ambient Light Sensor - MacBook Pro Mid-2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noob23, Dec 7, 2010.

1. noob23 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a 15" Macbook Pro and am hoping to get some perspectives here on the ambient light sensor.

I've read on other forums that there may be a design flaw with the sensor which causes it to believe there is not sufficient light (and thus turn on the keyboard backlighting) even when the room is well lit. I'm experiencing the same phenomenon and wanted to see if there was a definitive answer to this issue - i.e., flaw in the design or do I just have a bad model.

Any thoughts or perspectives would be helpful - I'd like to avoid going into the genius bar unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance!

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The sensor is beside the iSight camera, if light isnt pretty much directly hitting it, it wont sense enough.

Turning the light off in the room dims the display and the keyboard, I think the threshold for turning the keyboard off is a little high meaning it needs a little too much light to turn off but it does sense it enough to brighten/dim the keyboard.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

If this does happen, it doesn't take much effort to press a key to turn off the keyboard light.