Ambient light Sensor not working on Early 2011 13" Macbook Pro after lion update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tfink660, Oct 20, 2011.

1. tfink660 macrumors newbie

just noticed that since the lion update the ambient light sensor no longer works.

2. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Try resetting the SMC Controller.

Shutdown, and hold Control+Option+Shift, then press the power button. I just noticed mine wasn't working after reading your note, and I did this, and now it's working.

3. tfink660 thread starter macrumors newbie

yah i did.. i called apple they had me do that the guy on phone applecare said it could possobily be a big with lion and he reported it so who knows we were on phone for like 30 mins and got nothing accomplished.

4. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

5. tfink660 thread starter macrumors newbie

called applecare.. they couldnt figre it out.. So they sent me into The geniuus bar today its deffintly gotta be a Software issue with the lion 10.7.2 as they booted using there system at genius bar into Snow leopard and guess what The sensor worked.. So i reported the bug and the guy on phone last night as well as the genius bar guy said he was reporting the bug as well. So im guesisng maybe a fix with 10.7.3 hopefully god knows when that will be out. lol

6. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

How do I know if the ambient light sensor isn't working?

7. ayres macrumors regular

hmmm, i think this is happening to me too...

after upgrading to lion two weeks back, i noticed that my screen would suddenly dim - in between typing or using trackpad.

to fix it, i have to brighten the screen with the buttons at the top of the keyboard even though they were already full.

8. tfink660 thread starter macrumors newbie

best thins for everyone to sumbit a bug about ambient light sensor not working since lion update att apple.com/feedback to get them to fix it in the next Os update at this point.

9. mape2k macrumors regular

In a bright room (or screen facing the window), hold your finger in front of the camera opening. The display should dim noticeably.

btw: my sensor works just fine @ 10.7.2

10. ayres macrumors regular

but this is only if one has selected the 'automatic light adjustment' option in the display section of system preferences, right?

mine is not selected, so there should be NO automatic dimming, right?

11. mape2k macrumors regular

Correct, the brightness has to stay at the same level you set it if you disable automatic dimming in the preferences.

12. tfink660 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol its annoying that its not working for me. lol oh well i guess im on e of the unlucky few it affected!!! No ideas what to try as i have already reset SMC and Pram.. guess i have to wait for a .3 update and hope they address the issue.