ambient light sensor problems when typing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aiterum, Feb 17, 2010.

1. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

Basically the problem is that when I am typing on my macbookpro's keyboard, the ambient light sensor will sometimes start to go nuts and start randomly dimming the screen, and then re-brightening and what not. It sometimes happens in high light settings where it doens't make sense (no shadows on the light sensors) and basically just seems intermittent when I am typing. Is there likely a problem with my light sensor, and if so, is there a way that i can disable the light sensor, whether through the hardware or through a console command? thanks!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I'm not sure if there's a potential problem with your sensor, but disabling it is easy. If you're on Snow Leopard go to System Preferences > Displays > Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes.

3. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

okay. that's there on leopard too. i'll just do that. thanks!

4. ammusk macrumors regular

I found this annoying too and disabled it. I just use the brightness controls to adjust it manually if at all needed.

This is the option in Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

[​IMG]

5. Kim Philby macrumors newbie

Are you leaning forward while you type, like to get a better look at the screen? If your head casts a shadow over the sensor, it will dim. Then when you move back, it will brighten again.

6. Sace macrumors member

It's a common problem on the classic MBP. The sensor is placed right under the speaker grill, and it's easy to confuse with the shaddow of your hand..

7. ammusk macrumors regular

I'm curious: Where is it located for the unibody?

8. Sace macrumors member

Next to the iSight camera :)

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

A best buy employee said it was the iSight Camera. Thats believable as when I cover up the camera, the screen dims, and the keyboard lights come on.

10. ammusk macrumors regular

That's more intuitive. Thanks!

11. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

yeah. i don't think it has really anything to do with shadows because at the position i normally sit at, the light is shining so that the shadows of my hands and what not are on oriented towards the track pad. that being said, it is kind of irrelevant since i've disabled it.

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Nope, it is the iSight camera. The problem with the ambient light sensor is extremely common on the MBP and PowerBook G4s. Even when you don't think your hands are in the way they can be.

13. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

Okay, hate to bump this, but i've since disabled the ambient light sensor on my keyboard, and my computer still goes ahead and just dims whenever I'm typing on it. Anything I can do to like hard disable it through the console or something like that?