Ambient Light Sensor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asmallchild, Apr 28, 2008.

1. asmallchild macrumors regular

Does anyone keep this active on their MBP?

I find the screen keeps dimming everytime I bring my hand over the left speaker area so I eventually had to disable it.

The other question I had is regarding the LED screen. Does running it at a higher level of brightness affect its lifespan?

I ran my old laptop (6 yo) at the highest setting all the time. While I never noticed any dimming when using it, I can definitely see a massive drop in brightness when comparing it to my MBP or even the desktop monitors I have around the house. (Not to mention a significantly darkened splotch near the bottom of the screen)

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I used the ambient light sensor on previous generations but it seems too sensitive on the current penryns, I've turned it off.

I'm under the impression that the LED backlighting shouldn't fade over time as the CCFL but I haven't seen anything definitive on this. I compared the new 17" LED to an 18 month old 17" yesterday and wow! The new one was about 10x as bright.

3. brvheart macrumors 6502

sorry to revive this thread, but I did not see the use to start a new one

I just got my MBP 3 weeks ago, it does not seem that the ambient light sensor works at all....or maybe I am have mis understood its purpose. On my dell, the screen auto adjust to the amount of light that it has, the Mac seems to be only on or off it does not take in to account the lighting condition and makes it brighter the darker that it gets...is this how it is supposed to be or is it broke and needs repaired?