Ambient Light Sensor

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vant, May 19, 2010.

1. vant macrumors 65816

Has anyone noticed if their iPad changes brightness depending on lighting conditions? Mine does not change at all. From a bright room to completely dark, my MBP will change to lowest brightness setting but my iPad still stays bright as #@%!

Anyone know where the sensor is so I can make sure mine isn't broken?

Oh and is anyone annoyed at the lowest brightness setting? Using an iPad at 2AM in the morning with no lights on is a pain due to the minimum brightness being too bright.

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Sounds like yours is defective. I have no such problems.

3. Battlestar macrumors 6502

Did you go into settings and make sure that it was enabled?

4. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Mine doesn't seem to change either.

Take that back just messed with it ... It works just not as big a difference as my MBP.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

same for me. it works, just not as well as my unibody MacBook

6. vant thread starter macrumors 65816

Definitely on. I turn it off/on and it does change the brightness initially, but it doesn't change if I put my palm on it or a lit source. I'm going to take it in today.

7. steel magnolia macrumors regular

Mine doesn't work as it should either, debating on taking it in but think I'll wait until the low stock/high demand settles down some. Not really a big deal to me as I can adjust brightness but it should work and doesn't so I would like to have what I paid for.
    Probably sounds silly but I have a sentimental thing for this iPad and really hate having to replace it, long story no one wants to hear!

Patty

8. aperry macrumors 6502a

My jailbroken iPad doesn't appear to be working either. Can anyone confirm that their jailbroken ipad's ambient light sensor definitely does work? Pretty sure mine worked before the jailbreak.

If I put my thumb over the sensor (in a bright room) nothing happens. It's enabled in settings.

9. thechungster macrumors regular

Hell it's never ever worked that well imo on the iPhone/iPod touch. I don't expect it to be any different. I just end up changing the brightness by SBSettings or something manually.