AmbiScience - isochronic tones - anyone tried?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gospel9, Dec 21, 2008.

1. gospel9 macrumors regular

The app says that it dosen't use binaural beats, but Isochronic tones, thereby altering the brain with the same effect that works with speaker systems (so you don't need to use headphones).

The "entrainment effects" included at the moment (4)
    focus
    meditate
    relax
    sleep

It has a Lite version that has the sleep effect. I am barely hearing it from my desktop speakers (connected to my iphone dock). The app claims that if you could hear the beats, it means it's working! supposedly anyway.

I have been looking for something like the "mind Wave" app but since I can't live with headphones most of the time I couldn't really use it (for those curious, yes I do have mind Wave).

I am not sold on their audio tracks on the Lite version yet...

But hey it's 0.99$ i might eventually give it a try.

iTunes link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300108404&mt=8

Lite version:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300109041&mt=8

link to their site with info:
    http://teslasoftware.com/

So I found a research article that has helped me made a decision,
    http://www.articlegarden.com/Article/Holysync--Binaural-beats--vs--Isochronic-Tones/50876

Another one:
    http://www.mind-optimizer.com/blog/...nes-which-works-better-for-brainwave-therapy/

I hope it works out well...

2. mactheweb macrumors newbie

Great ambient music and sounds - no effect from tones

I've been using different types of entrainment audio/flashing light machines, CDs and tapes since the mid 80s. This one didn't seem to do anything for me. That's unfortunate because the app is very nicely done. I get more effect from the binaural beat programs than this one.

3. vw195 macrumors 6502

I guess its hard to go wrong for only $0.99 . Give a report back :)

4. gospel9 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought nobody was interested when i posted this... :)
    Anyway I have had mixed results with this thing.

It is said on the app that the ambient music is primary, and the tones secondary, and it's suppose to work as long as you could hear the tones... And I think they were right with this one; that picking and choosing the right ambient music is very important here.

5. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

I bought this myself as I was a user of Binaural Beats but with that app you need to have the headphones on, and it's pretty much sounds like rivers, fires etc..

Ambiscence is based around excellent loops of music with isochronic tones mixed in behind them, so you can use this without a headphone (Speaker systems) and you supposed to get the same results.

Im not 100% sure if this works, as I have been using it to try and calm myself to sleep with mixed results. The music is lovely and the best so far (needs more though) and the tones are not noticeable really.

Ive tried to sleep anbd sat there listening for 20 minutes with no avail, and than Ive listened and fell asleep in 5 minutes.. So im not sure if this DID anything honestly.

It is relaxing, and i figure this cant hurt, but I didn't put it on and notice myself getting tired or anything.

6. sawatzky macrumors newbie

nice little app

I find the quality of the sounds and the looping are perfect. It's easy to get lost in the sounds. I listened for looping points in the Buddhist Rain sound and couldn't find it. I have one issue with the app though and it's in the documentation. The app lists the "beats" in the wrong frequencies: It lists the FOCUS beats as being in the BETA 12-14 Hz range, Meditate as THETA 7.83 Hz, RELAX as LOW THETA 5 Hz, and SLEEP as DELTA 1.5 Hz.

If these Hz numbers are for real, how is it that I can hear them? My state of the art Sennheiser headphones only go down to 18 Hz, and most headphones don't go lower than 20Hz. A 1 Hz wave is 186,000 miles long!

7. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Funny, but I've had this for a week or so and used it last night.

I fell asleep with it on and woke up at 4 am and it was still playing!

I would recommend it. The choice of sounds weren't what I was expecting, but it was nice last night!

8. jeight macrumors newbie

Those are the right numbers. The isochronic beats, alternating sound and silence like that of the drums or a sound of a helicopter, determine the entrainment frequency.---- An audible frequency is used and is switched on and off at the rate of the target entrainment frequency.

9. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Binaural beats are always very low frequencies. It doesn't mean the sound is. The "beat" is the frequency difference between the left and right ears. Wikipedia it.

10. Rrhett macrumors newbie

Tesla

Hi, I regularly use Tesla at Twilight to help sleep...Rrhett