Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usinjin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
I have a 2011 13" MacBook Air I'm working with. It was VERY SLIGHTLY water damaged--the screen backlight now won't work. A tiny bit of corrosion has caused damage to the traces at the base of the LVDS connector, in short, the traces that supply power to the backlight. That is all. EVERYTHING else works. The LCD is perfect--just very very dim, because the backlight is non-functional.

Now, to be clear: I am WAY past voiding the warranty on this computer. It is water damaged, no sense taking it to Apple. I want to see if I can fix it--I understand the risks. I understand.

Here is my question: is there any way I could feed power to the backlight from another source in the computer? I was thinking the easiest way would be to separate the thin power wires from the LVDS cable, and attach those to a power source. Is there a small LVDS power driver board I could purchase? Looking for ideas here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.