AMD Cards in Mac Pro 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sohaib Najam, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Sohaib Najam macrumors newbie

Sohaib Najam

Hi everyone, I am just curious as I have tried searching on the internet and MacRumours as well but always end up with no definitive answer.

Question: Does the AMD R200 or R300 series work with the Mac Pro? I don't really care about boot screen or anything, I just want to know if it will work since I don't want to pay a lot more for Nvidia cards for less performance.

*P.S. I don't use Bootcamp or game on my Mac Pro, just want something to replace the 2600X since it runs so hot, boot screen doesn't matter to me. I don't want to flash anything, so if there any AMD PC Reference cards which work out of the box with OSX is what I want to know.

Thanks for all and any help!

2. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

Have a look at this guide: Radeon Compatibility Guide
    I composed it for Hackintoshs, but cards with OOB=Yes will also work in a MacPro. Stay away from OOB=No cards or cards with any other issues.

3. Sohaib Najam thread starter macrumors newbie

Sohaib Najam

Thanks for the help.

4. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

Just realized that I forgot one thing: GCN 1.0 based cards (e.g. 7950, R9 280, etc). will have totally crippled performance in a MacPro 3,1 due to a bug in OS X (yes, even the official 7950 Mac Edition).
    To restore the full performance, you'll have to delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kexts after every OS X update. Starting with El Capitan this will be a PITA because of rootless...