Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
The french magazine that leaked the Zen benchmarks, have confirmed its 5GHz OC on air, possible for Zen A0 revision. Its for single core, but it is 5GHz. A2 stepping is capable of getting to 4.3 GHz on all cores, after OC, but without breaking 95W TDP barrier.

So yes, the random post is more reliable than your posts on this forum, Tuxon ;).

A0 stepping is full of bugs. SMT enabled causes uOp cache to bring errors. The CPU with A0 stepping has Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge level of single core performance, clock-for-clock. A2 stepping is already alleviated from those bugs, and it provides Haswell/Broadwell level of performance per clock. The core clocks, are matter of the A3 and A4 steppings.

If anyone will ask me, about predictions I will say that final silicon will start at 3.6 GHz, with 4 GHz boost clock, for 8C/16T SKU, and 95W TDP. Rumored prices, are pretty much jaw dropping, however when you think about where they are positioned, its not that great deal. Its pretty good Smoke and mirrors play from AMD, because Intel cannot compete with AMD on this front which is bizarre statement, I know, but its true.

And funniest part: https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/814837806933692416

Thats why Intel is so behind AMD...

And more fabulations... But I bet that in your head you do believe what you are posting, which is quite sad really.

Reactions: slughead

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
I'm wondering how many of those "well informed" users posting "leaks" are just trolling.

Just a few days ago I stumbled across older posts following the Polaris announcement. "GTX 1070 level of performance at just 100 watts for $199, OC's easily up to 1.5 GHz on air". Yep, that's what we got... :rolleyes:

So please don't do the same to Ryzen...

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: sypack

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
New Horizon presentation of Zen CPU was done on B1 stepping of the CPU(Overvolted, for maximum stability, 3.45 GHz)

Today's demos are done on F3 stepping(3.6/3.9 GHz)
F4 stepping is already 3.6/4 GHz, and can clock higher within 95W TDP :).

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
And more fabulations... But I bet that in your head you do believe what you are posting, which is quite sad really.
But.. the french magazine!

Seriously though, the 1's and 0's spelling zen@5g or whatever was ... people are so desperate to believe

Reactions: tuxon86

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I have to quote myself, again:

AMD wants to offer CPU, Motherboard, and high-end GPU for under the 1000$ mark. If 8 core CPU with Haswell-E level of performance is 350$ that would mean that for GPU and motherboard there is 650$ room for that.

Small Vega would be by the means of deduction 499$?
From 14:00 minute mark. Raja says that his dream is to offer 4K gaming PC for 1000$.

Someone was arguing with me about this, that no way I can have valid information...

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
There's a difference between vaporware and in development.
And what might that difference be?

It's all vapourware until it's actually shipped to customers in meaningful quantities.

The MP6,1 is a case in point - from June until the end of December it was vapourware. A trickle of shipments started at the end of December - so it survived being called the "late 2013" Mac Pro and didn't have to be renamed the "early 2014" Mac Pro.

AMD (and RTG - née ATI) have a long history of delivering less than promised long after the intially promised date.

721303-16-512[1].png

Reactions: slughead

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
There is currently a giveaway from AMD running on. It ends in 30 days, and at the end of it, one person will get brand new Vega GPU.

So the launch is imminent. AMD plans to launch whole gaming platform, as I have said before, thats why they tied Vega and Ryzen launch together. Later I will write what I know about performance of Vega, in the RX 480 thread.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And what might that difference be?

It's all vapourware until it's actually shipped to customers in meaningful quantities.

The MP6,1 is a case in point - from June until the end of December it was vapourware. A trickle of shipments started at the end of December - so it survived being called the "late 2013" Mac Pro and didn't have to be renamed the "early 2014" Mac Pro.

AMD (and RTG - née ATI) have a long history of delivering less than promised long after the intially promised date.

Vaporware is when something keeps on being promised way past their due date without being delivered.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
And why does that not apply to Zen and Vega? It seems that there have been many dates put forward - dates that are now in the past.
Have you seen any date? Or you are making stuff up? Because even I have not seen any date from AMD stating that it will launch at that very moment.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
As I remember, vaporware originally referred to a software marketing tactic where a product was announced as just around the corner forever. Eventually the jig was up.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Does anyone know the stepping pattern. Is the letter the version with the number being a change in chip circuitry or the other way around?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
As I remember, vaporware originally referred to a software marketing tactic where a product was announced as just around the corner forever. Eventually the jig was up.
Now, it often applies to any bit of hardware or software in the window between public announcement and actual shipment - especially if the ship date slips.

The MP6,1 (the trash can) was vapourware when it was announced at MacWorld SF 2013, for shipment in "late 2013". If you can see the specs, but not buy it - is that not vapourware?

The term was coined when some companies engaged in criminally culpable statements about features and availability - but now is coloquially used any time there is a big announcement that long precedes the actual ship date.

In particular - how can AMD/ATI prove that Zen and Vega are not vapourware - except by actually manufacturing and shipping them?

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Does anyone know the stepping pattern. Is the letter the version with the number being a change in chip circuitry or the other way around?
I cannot say for AMD, however... It depends. Usually it is A0, A1, A2, etc... it goes on and on. It just is to mark different versions of the silicon, and it can vary between the companies who ordered the silicon from the fabs. AMD can have different naming scheme from for example Intel.

In this case, we can see pattern. A0 stepping was 2.8/3.2 GHz CPU. F3 was 3.6/3.9 GHz, F4 is 3.6/4.0 GHz. New Horizon Demo was overvolted to get 100% stability with 3.45 GHz.

A2 stepping was able to OC to 5 GHz on single core. However that was suicide run, on extreme upping the voltages, and breaking the 95W thermal envelope.

Reactions: 0388631

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Now, it often applies to any bit of hardware or software in the window between public announcement and actual shipment - especially if the ship date slips.
This is not correct. That something is pre-announced and the ship date slips a bit does not make it vaporware.

You cannot call Zen vaporware. It is still running under the expected schedule.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
A2 stepping was able to OC to 5 GHz on single core. However that was suicide run, on extreme upping the voltages, and breaking the 95W thermal envelope.
Is this based on that interpretation of the 0's and 1's in that French report, or has it actually been confirmed?

And regardless of that, what does it really matter how far you can overclock a multi-core chip when you turn off all of the cores but one?

Don't inquiring minds want to know how far you can clock it with all cores and threads running?
[doublepost=1483841033][/doublepost]
This is not correct. That something is pre-announced and the ship date slips a bit does not make it vaporware.

You cannot call Zen vaporware. It is still running under the expected schedule.
I can call anything "vapourware" that I can read about but I can't buy and run on my desk or in my lab.

Zen is vapourware. Skylake-EP is vapourware. Zen is a roadmap, Skylate-EP is a roadmap.

There's a fine line between vapourware and roadmaps.

Some companies describe roadmaps to allow their customers to plan for future purchases. Other companies have roadmaps with systems with high risk of not meeting the description (in either performance or ship date) in order to try to block purchases of competing systems.

If a company has earned your trust, you accept that the roadmap might be off by a quarter or two. Other companies may have a track record of overpromising, and under-delivering late.

Just look at the reaction to Polaris. It is so disappointing compared to the vapourware hype.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.