AMD drivers for Osx Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Yogakun, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Yogakun macrumors member

I have a mid 2011 AMD Radeon HD 6950M. What drivers do I need to install for Osx Lion, where can I locate them? Are they different than the drivers that I woud dual-boot with Windows 7?

(mods I altered the question to get more specific, if you need to delete this, go ahead)

2. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Are you wanting drivers for Boot Camp? OS X automatically installs drivers for your machine.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You don't need to install drivers for Lion, although I don't know of a Mac that has that GPU in it.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I see no reference to Mac-compatibility for this card on AMD's website. Also, it is not listed among the ATI graphics cards available at the Apple Store. You cannot use a Windows PC card with your Mac. What makes you think that your card ought to work with your Mac?

5. goMac macrumors 603

Lion comes with all the drivers for your machine built in. You don't need to download anything.

6. mountains macrumors regular

i suppose it's possible that someone out there has written their own drivers for a 6950, but Apple and AMD don't support that card with OS X.

7. Yogakun thread starter macrumors member

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It takes more than just drivers. The firmware for Mac cards and Windows cards are different. There are some Windows cards that can be made compatible with the Mac by flashing the EPROM. However, this does not work with all cards. Even if it is possible to do so, then this is a task best left to people who know what they are doing.

9. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I assume this is the GPU in your iMac 2011?

In which case OS X supplies all the drives - no tweaking by you is required.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

A History of Apple Computers lists the 6770M as the standard GPU for the Mid 2011 iMac. It reports that this model features the 6570M on the low-end and the 6970M on the high. Apple lists the available GPUs as the 6750M and the 6970M. I see no reference anywhere to the ATI Radeon HD 6950M being used in any configuration of iMac.