Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'm cheering for AMD for three reasons:

1) We have some AMD stock which has doubled in value since we bought it 8 months ago
2) Intel having competition is good for everyone. Without AMD over their shoulder, Intel would be charging even more for their processors and the product release cycles would be further apart.
3) A weird propensity to support the underdog.
#2 is a big one (I really don't want to see the environment that produced the Pentium4 all over again), and #3 isn't unknown either. ;) #1 isn't the case for most people, but it's valid in your case never the less. :D

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
#2 is a big one (I really don't want to see the environment that produced the Pentium4 all over again), and #3 isn't unknown either. ;) #1 isn't the case for most people, but it's valid in your case never the less. :D

Indeed. The Pentium 4 was a dog's dinner of a CPU:eek:....Those were the days when AMD were riding high, if only they'd capitalized a bit more once they'd got their noses in front.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
They should be capable of developing CPU's as well. Uni's don't offer separate CPU and GPU degree... Electrical/Computer Engineers can do both (as well as a lot of other things; you know, those other annoying, necessary bits like RAM). ;) :D :p
pfft my uni doesnt offer any degree! it sucks. i can major in.. lets see.. programming or programming! high level c*ap too! :rolleyes:

the differences between CPU development and GPU development (software wise) would be completely different though wouldnt it?

I'm cheering for AMD for three reasons:

1) We have some AMD stock which has doubled in value since we bought it 8 months ago
2) Intel having competition is good for everyone. Without AMD over their shoulder, Intel would be charging even more for their processors and the product release cycles would be further apart.
3) A weird propensity to support the underdog.
3 valid reasons :D in all honesty though, i dont think AMD can keep up..not at the moment anyway, just just dont have the ability to invest as much as intel. Power7 looks impressive from IBM though ;)

Intel fanboys diss this as "nothing special", when that was the way Intel used to do multicore.

It means you can have 12 cores in 1 socket, 24 cores in 2 sockets, and 48 cores in 4 sockets.
you can say the same about the Power7, its pretty darn impressive too! but the newest intel chip that just got announced is also impressive. the AMD beats the intel overall (because there are more cores) - but the intel wins clock for clock, which i think is the most important piece of information.

price also comes into it too i guess...

Annoying isn't it?;)
oh yehs. :rolleyes:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
pfft my uni doesnt offer any degree! it sucks. i can major in.. lets see.. programming or programming! high level c*ap too! :rolleyes:

the differences between CPU development and GPU development (software wise) would be completely different though wouldnt it?
Why not go to a different uni if that's what you really wanted to do?

The software is fairly different (CPU = general use, GPU is specialized), but they can both do floating point calculations (and GPU's are actually better suited for this, which is why GPGPU processing is being persued). So there is some cross-over possible.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Why not go to a different uni if that's what you really wanted to do?
its all the same over here. base degree. not much practical work. all theory. boring!

funds didnt allow for it either, even if they did exist.

The software is fairly different (CPU = general use, GPU is specialized), but they can both do floating point calculations (and GPU's are actually better suited for this, which is why GPGPU processing is being persued). So there is some cross-over possible.

i really like the concepts of GPGPU processing. and i hope that it gets build into OSX more, esp for video converting/processing etc. the new GPUs are AMAZING in terms of pure grunt (TFLOPS etc). cant wait for it.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
its all the same over here. base degree. not much practical work. all theory. boring!
I'm accustomed to most Bachelor's degrees here containing little to no practical experience at all directly from course work/degree requirements. That's typically obtained from internships and the graduate's first real job or two.

But we can chose the degree, though the selection can change from school to school (and in some cases, even the actual degree listed is slightly different). State systems aren't all that unified from what I've seen (i.e. state schools which are public, having different courses, books and fees, even for the same degree), and private institutions certainly aren't. The closest we get to any standardation, whether or not a school has accreditation.

i really like the concepts of GPGPU processing. and i hope that it gets build into OSX more, esp for video converting/processing etc. the new GPUs are AMAZING in terms of pure grunt (TFLOPS etc). cant wait for it.
Assuming an application can benefit from it, Yes, but it will take time. This could be an uneasy time for developers though, if they feel unsure as to whether or not the pro market has a future with Apple though (or adequate profits to justify the development costs). I'd be hesitant if it were up to me at any rate. :eek: :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.