AMD Radeon HD 2400 PRO in Mac Pro 1,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by paulrbeers, Jul 2, 2012.

1. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

So I picked up a 2006 Mac Pro (dual 2.66ghz) cheaply off of Craigslist (and I mean cheaapppp). I'm going to throw some used RAM off of Ebay in it and upgrade the processors to X5355's. Question I have is that eventually I will add a 6870 to it (and leave the 7300GT in it as my boot card), but will an AMD/ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro work in my Mac Pro? I have one in a box from my old PC days and thought it might suffice for awhile (I have 3 monitors I would like to run).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and yes I know I could try it, but hoping someone's tried it before....).

2. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors member

Yeah man I am also going to do it in a 1,1 machine XServe with 8gigs ram.
    I have not yet recieved the xserve but I wonder if this card will work as a chipset that runs on drivers, or only the XT version supported by osx natively. Many people have comfirmed that the Pro is just an underclocked XT, so I think it should work with a real mac. Please Refer to my thread "Will pickup an Xserve. Ati Radeon hd 2400XT Graphics" maybe someone replies to that thread... but yes I am currently scouring google for that.

Nice Luck.