AMD Radeon HD 6990M!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 5piN, Jul 12, 2011.

1. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't worry- even if it had been available, it wouldn't have been chosen for the iMac. Apple routinely uses mid level mobile gpu's at best.

2. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Oh well, always something bigger and better around the corner.

3. leman macrumors 604

Yes, the best confirmation to your statement is the fact that Apple used one of fastest available mobile GPUs for the high-end iMac :rolleyes:

4. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

That was the case in the past but the introduction of the 6970M GPU was a welcome break from the tradition and represented the best mobile GPU ATI/AMD had to offer.

5. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Apple routinely puts components through testing cycles prior to including them in their hardware releases. If their testing is concluded around the time of a new hardware announcement, they may include it. Or, one of their suppliers may give Apple a new component for testing well in advance of its release (this was the case with Intel and their Sandy Bridge processors being included in the February MacBook Pro release).

6. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Id love one of these but in the 21" version! It would be a beast!

7. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Read the reply just below yours.

Just because Apple decided to offer the high end gpu this time doesn't counteract the fct the in the past, they were all mid level gpu's.

I'm just trying to keep a more level head then getting my hopes up- since they've been let down before.

I love Apple- but getting high end kit at an "affordable" price point isn't necessarily Apple's M.O.

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If AMD and Apple relationship could be as well as with Intel .. I'm sure AMD would give Radeon 6990M early exclusivity for this iMac, just like Z68 chipset from Intel. Although I don't really complain about 6970M they included, but being in the edge is nice, even for a while :D

All iMac user should prepare themselves for this kind of pain. You can't upgrade the hardware unless you buy the new one, or wait for refresh if you please. You all new the consequences and you jumped in though :p

9. iMikeT macrumors 68020

And how long will it be until Apple offers this in the current iMac line, the next refresh 8-10 months from now?

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

While the iMac does offer the (at the time) fastest mobile GPU, these are mid tier products by desktop standards. The 6970M is a down clocked HD6850 and the 6990M is a heavily down clocked HD6870 (900 to 715MHz). Sufficient to get the job done but no competition for the top end cards.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

By the time that come, 6990M is no longer baddest mobile GPU from AMD.

Going desktop or all-in-one like iMac, you will always have to spend some fortune to have the greatest. And that greatest GPU obviously ain't cheap.

If iMac design never changed, they will never put in best GPU anyway, even the most expensive MacPro never include bleeding edge desktop GPU, so I wouldn't freak out about this news and say .. "Oh $uck .. one month earlier and iMac can get this"

Maybe we should say "Oh, my [insert anything Mac] could never have that .. like forever"