Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npgatech

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Exactly, I used this $7 cable from the link below to connect the W5700 to the DP-IN on the motherboard. From the motherboard to the monitor I'm using Apple's thunderbolt cable that came with the monitor. SwitchResX says 3008x1692 HiDPI @ 60hz. Everything looks great and sharp. Under Graphics/Displays in System Report it shows 6016 x 3384 Retina 6K. Presets all work. It's the most freakin' amazing monitor I've owned.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786FNLDT/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QcfBFbA9MNQWQ

Use the EFI from Chris and choose the default config file with the iMac Pro SMbios.
Use the same settings in BIOS as Chris but enable everything under Thunderbolt (including thunderbolt boot or something like that) to get this working 100% with sleep and profiles after restart, and to get USB 3 speed for the hub on the back of the display.
If you need any other help let me know.

I'm about to try it with an inexpensive RX 580 tomorrow to see whether the monitor still works and I'll post.

Thank you very much for the info @gimarbazat . This is probably the first time this has been tried.

I have RX580 and based on what @joevt is saying, I am gonna need to buy a W5700 blue card. Do you know if the cheapter RX 5700 XT work suffice? They seem to be the same card. There is one locally available for pick up so I could just go buy 5700XT + haul in a giant white box from the Apple store for $5k and have a grand weekend :D

Last edited:
Reactions: dabotsonline

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
It should work, but only up to 4K since the RX580 doesn't support DSC. Your motherboard would need to DisplayPort inputs to support 6K and even then the Thunderbolt controller might not have the firmware to support dual HBR3 connection to the XDR for 6K.

6K 60Hz requires ~1290 MHz pixel clock. We know that the XDR does not support chroma sub sampling. If macOS supported 6 bpc, then 6K 60Hz could work with a single HBR3 connection, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone get a single HBR3 connection to work. In that case, you'll be limited to single HBR2 connection. One person got 5K 60Hz with 6 bpc in Windows. Does AMD support 6 bpc in Windows?

If you want 6K with single HBR2 connection, then you can try making a custom timing (CVT-RB) in SwitchResX (I don't think anyone has tried lower refresh rates before):
6K 30 Hz 8 bpc (635.81 MHz).

While you're testing the XDR with different connection types, can you gather some info about the different connection methods of the USB hub of the XDR?
You’re right. I had some 2nd thoughts last night after seeing a video of the Macpro with this card and the pro display, and I ended up canceling my order. Without DSC it’s more trouble to get it to work properly plus I would only get USB 2 speeds from the display.

I did test the Samsung 970 nvme with this external device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089JXSMB8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RrpBFb61V19DC
and I still get similar read/write speeds in the low 400s from the back of the display. I did try also one of the usb 3.1 gen 2 on the motherboard and got more then twice speeds in the low to mid 900.
I think the display’s maximum usb speed is 3.0.

Last edited:

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Thank you very much for the info @gimarbazat . This is probably the first time this has been tried.

I have RX580 and based on what @joevt is saying, I am gonna need to buy a W5700 blue card. Do you know if the cheapter RX 5700 XT work suffice? They seem to be the same card. There is one locally available for pick up so I could just go buy 5700XT + haul in a giant white box from the Apple store for $5k and have a grand weekend :D
I returned my Saphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT a little too early and haven’t had the chance to test it with the display. It’s a little faster than the W5700 but noisy and hot. The W5700 is just noisy. I like W5700 better for my needs and will keep it.

npgatech

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
@gimarbazat Thanks. I ordered RX 5700 XT and will report back.

Also ordered a $5000 thunderbolt cable from Apple. I was shocked at the price but noted that it also comes with a display ;)

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
@gimarbazat Thanks. I ordered RX 5700 XT and will report back.

Also ordered a $5000 thunderbolt cable from Apple. I was shocked at the price but noted that it also comes with a display ;)

Great, I’m curious to see how it works with you.

Glad you found that bargain on the thunderbolt cable. I hope you haven’t forgotten the Apple monitor stand;)

npgatech

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
All - I can confirm that Apple Pro Display XDR as @gimarbazat suggested, works great with Gigabyte Vision D Z490 motherboard. I had to enable everything in the BIOS thunderbolt 3 menu.

It's ridiculous how amazing this cable is. Also, the display is good, especially the black levels - they're exceptional.

I can also confirm that I am using Gigabyte RX 5700XT - there is no need to fork out another $500 unless you're feeling fancy like @gimarbazat :)

@gimarbazat Thanks again, you saved me $6000 for the amazing PCI-E unlock switch (which incidentally also comes with a whole Mac Pro computer).

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I am also using an Aorus RX5700XT in my NcMP with an LG UltraFine Display. I'm using a Bidirectional cable (DisplayPort to USB-C) works fine except no boot screen.

Lou

Last edited:

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
All - I can confirm that Apple Pro Display XDR as @gimarbazat suggested, works great with Gigabyte Vision D Z490 motherboard. I had to enable everything in the BIOS thunderbolt 3 menu.

It's ridiculous how amazing this cable is. Also, the display is good, especially the black levels - they're exceptional.

I can also confirm that I am using Gigabyte RX 5700XT - there is no need to fork out another $500 unless you're feeling fancy like @gimarbazat :)

@gimarbazat Thanks again, you saved me $6000 for the amazing PCI-E unlock switch (which incidentally also comes with a whole Mac Pro computer).

glad to hear things went well. No need to thank me. I was very close to spend that $6-7000 on a 2019 basic Mac Pro just to use this monitor. Luckily I found this forum before spending that much money. The cost of Mac pros used to start at $2500-3000. It’s ridiculous how much Apple charges now.
Enjoy your macpro killer and that gorgeous display:)

P.S. I decided not to act fancy anymore and I went with the MSI Gaming X 5600XT. It’s cool and quiet. I ran geekbench Metal and Open CL three times each back to back and the fans on it did not turn on. Got 58k in Metal and 54k in CL. Next upgrade is going to be the Dune Pro case.

Last edited:

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
@npgatech @joevt

I got a 2nd Pro Display XDR and to my surprise I got both working in 6k. Brightness and USB works on one only.
This is on Gigabyte Z490 Vision D with XFX 5700 XT (switched it back from the MSI 5600XT. I haven't tried the 5600 with both displays although it may work).

To get them both in 6k I added the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 card. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BC11XW8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DmwGFbF4GA93A

First I got them both working through the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 card that receives signal from the GPU using the two short display cables provided. However, couldn't get the USB to work to use brightness. The USB hubs on the back of the displays didn't work although I tried connecting the card into different USB headers on the motherboard.

Then I plugged one display directly into the thunderbolt port on the motherboard to get brightness control and USB and it works. One display is plugged into the motherboard and the other is plugged into the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0. I couldn't get them both to work from the motherboard thunderbolt plugs, I guess since there's only one display IN to feed it.

I didn't think the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 would work for several reasons. The Z490 vision D motherboard isn't listed under supported motherboards on Gigabyte's website. The motherboard doesn't have any Thunderbolt headers (neither 3 nor 5 pin). And there's already a thunderbolt controller on the motherboard.

I plugged a few USB C devices in the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 and some work some don't. For instance the Logitech webcam works, but an external hard drive gets the light on but does not appear in the computer.

In System Report there's nothing listed under Thunderbolt, but Thunderbolt listed under PCI, see the attached photos. I'm an amateur at best and don't even know if these are installed correctly.

Although I could live with brightness and USB working on one monitor only, it would be awesome to get them both working properly. If anyone has a suggestion as to what I could try doing to get the USB working correctly from the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 that would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3443.jpg
    IMG_3443.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3445.jpg
    IMG_3445.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
@npgatech @joevt

I got a 2nd Pro Display XDR and to my surprise I got both working in 6k. Brightness and USB works on one only.
This is on Gigabyte Z490 Vision D with XFX 5700 XT (switched it back from the MSI 5600XT. I haven't tried the 5600 with both displays although it may work).

To get them both in 6k I added the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 card. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BC11XW8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DmwGFbF4GA93A

First I got them both working through the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 card that receives signal from the GPU using the two short display cables provided. However, couldn't get the USB to work to use brightness. The USB hubs on the back of the displays didn't work although I tried connecting the card into different USB headers on the motherboard.
No surprises here. Since the displays are connected to GC-TITAN RIDGE, they are using a Thunderbolt connection. Since they are using Thunderbolt, the USB header is not used, and USB can't work unless you get PCIe tunnelling working.

Then I plugged one display directly into the thunderbolt port on the motherboard to get brightness control and USB and it works. One display is plugged into the motherboard and the other is plugged into the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0. I couldn't get them both to work from the motherboard thunderbolt plugs, I guess since there's only one display IN to feed it.
Right. The motherboard Thunderbolt controller only has one DisplayPort input, so only one display can work from the motherboard Thunderbolt port. The motherboard Thunderbolt port seems to be working for you (enabled by motherboard Thunderbolt firmware or because you flashed it?).

I didn't think the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 would work for several reasons. The Z490 vision D motherboard isn't listed under supported motherboards on Gigabyte's website. The motherboard doesn't have any Thunderbolt headers (neither 3 nor 5 pin). And there's already a thunderbolt controller on the motherboard.
You only have DisplayPort to Thunderbolt conversion working. That usually works for any Thunderbolt add-in card no matter where it's connected.

I plugged a few USB C devices in the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 and some work some don't. For instance the Logitech webcam works, but an external hard drive gets the light on but does not appear in the computer.
The webcam is USB 2.0 and is connected via the USB Header of the Titan Ridge. The hard drive is USB 3.0 but you don't have USB 3.0 working. On my Mac Pro 2008, USB 3.x from the GC-TITAN RIDGE 1.0 works fine for USB 3.x (it is not flashed, it has 3.3V to the force power pin). Is your card flashed? You have a different GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0 so it has a different header. Do you have 3.3V to the force power pin? Your PCI list shows both Thunderbolt USB controllers (one for motherboard, for the GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0) so I don't know why the GC-TITAN RIDGE one doesn't work.

In System Report there's nothing listed under Thunderbolt, but Thunderbolt listed under PCI, see the attached photos. I'm an amateur at best and don't even know if these are installed correctly.
Thunderbolt drivers won't load for either controller won't load unless you do some DSDT stuff (ThunderboltDROM).

Although I could live with brightness and USB working on one monitor only, it would be awesome to get them both working properly. If anyone has a suggestion as to what I could try doing to get the USB working correctly from the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 that would be much appreciated.
Forget Thunderbolt. Use a Belkin charge and sync cable to get both DisplayPort and USB (but limited to USB 2.0) to the XDR.

Have you tried the suggestions at:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z490-vision-d-thunderbolt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642/

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
thank you @joevt! Your explanation helps me make more sense of all this. I’ll also read that guide you recomanded.

For the Belkin cable are you referring to the one with the two USB A attached to it that was discussed earlier on this thread?

I didn’t do anything to the onboard Thunderbolt except to use a SSDT.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
For the Belkin cable are you referring to the one with the two USB A attached to it that was discussed earlier on this thread?
Yes. https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-...sb-c-to-displayport-cable/paged/4/#post-79127
With the cable you don't need to worry about Thunderbolt functioning. You get 6K because of DSC from the GPU.

I didn’t do anything to the onboard Thunderbolt except to use a SSDT.
Right. Flashing the controller with Mac Firmware might help Thunderbolt compatibility in macOS but might stop normal USB function of the controller. The guides explains both situations.

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Yes. https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-...sb-c-to-displayport-cable/paged/4/#post-79127
With the cable you don't need to worry about Thunderbolt functioning. You get 6K because of DSC from the GPU.

Right. Flashing the controller with Mac Firmware might help Thunderbolt compatibility in macOS but might stop normal USB function of the controller. The guides explains both situations.

thank you! I’m waiting for the Belkin cable to arrive in a few days and hope this will fix my brightness on the 2nd display:)

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
thank you! I’m waiting for the Belkin cable to arrive in a few days and hope this will fix my brightness on the 2nd display:)

The cable just arrived but unfortunately can’t get the display to run at 6k resolution.
I tried a few things without success. the presets and brightness work but only in 5k.
Please let me know if you have a suggestion.

I’m thinking to try another motherboard, the Asus z490 proart, that has two display INs to feed the thunderbolt and see if I can get both displays to work in 6k with presets.

eksu

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2017
@npgatech @joevt

Do we know if this is really outputting as 6k, or is this just displaying as if it is 6k but upscaling from 5k/4k?

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Do we know if this is really outputting as 6k, or is this just displaying as if it is 6k but upscaling from 5k/4k?
Both in 6k nice and crisp text, but profiles and brightness working on only the one plugged directly into the motherboard. The only way to get the 2nd display in 6k so far is through an add-on Titan Ridge card that was mentioned earlier but without brightness and presets unfortunately.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The cable just arrived but unfortunately can’t get the display to run at 6k resolution.
I tried a few things without success. the presets and brightness work but only in 5k.
Please let me know if you have a suggestion.

I’m thinking to try another motherboard, the Asus z490 proart, that has two display INs to feed the thunderbolt and see if I can get both displays to work in 6k with presets.
Post AGDCDiagnose output if you're using macOS. You are using W5700?
Post result from USB-C port and Belkin so we can compare. Do either work at 6K?
What macOS version are you using?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

This one right?

If yes, did you kook up the Two USB A cables?

Lou

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Post AGDCDiagnose output if you're using macOS. You are using W5700?
Post result from USB-C port and Belkin so we can compare. Do either work at 6K?
What macOS version are you using?

strange but it does work in Catalina 10.15.6!
It still shows 5k under display info but both displays look crisp and sharp in 6k:) and of course presets and brightness work.
In BigSur beta 10 you can tell the difference between 5k and 6k when comparing the monitors; the text is fuzzy when looking at it closely and everything looks slightly bigger in 5k.

I returned the W5700 and am using XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087J3KM2X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Out of curiosity I’ll try the Asus Z490 ProArt motherboard in the next day or so to see if I can get both monitors to work with thunderbolt.

Thank you guys!

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
This one right?

If yes, did you kook up the Two USB A cables?

Lou

Did I choose the right cable? LMK, so I can buy.

Lou

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Did I choose the right cable? LMK, so I can buy.

Lou

i got mine from here as they offered a fast shipping option. They shipped it on Thursday last week and it arrived in US on Monday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.