Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
Yeah, this has me pretty excited and if macOS supports this via eGPU, I'll be keeping my MacBook Pro 15 around.

This is competing directly with the NVIDIA RTX 2080.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Vega 20 deviceID I think is already available in macOS. And Vega 7 is based on that chip.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
VII, 7nm, $700, February 7

GTX-like price.

Last edited:

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
Well, we dont know what GPU will Mac Pro use since Apple can order customized GPU from AMD as usuals with Vega, Polaris, or other architectures.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I have to say this new Vega 7 isn’t half as exciting as Nvidias new RTX2060.. but as that will not work with apple for now then AMD’a offering is better then nothing. Decent boost in performance for the Vega chip.

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
I have to say this new Vega 7 isn’t half as exciting as Nvidias new RTX2060.. but as that will not work with apple for now then AMD’a offering is better then nothing. Decent boost in performance for the Vega chip.
It’s comprarable to the 2080. How is this not exciting? I finally get to have an AMD GPU connected to my MBP that isn’t a steaming POS.

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
Because that's what AMD are saying about it? Other sources are saying it'll be comparable to a 2060.
Your other sources seem rather clueless then. The current Vega 64 trades blows with NVIDIA’s 1080. This is an improvement on that tech with a new 7nm process and twice as much memory as the 2080. How anyone can conclude that this will be like the 2060 is either not following AMD’s pipeline or they’re being willfully ignorant.

Reactions: koyoot

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Your other sources seem rather clueless then. The current Vega 64 trades blows with NVIDIA’s 1080. This is an improvement on that tech with a new 7nm process and twice as much memory as the 2080. How anyone can conclude that this will be like the 2060 is either not following AMD’s pipeline or they’re being willfully ignorant.

Maybe they just don't believe AMD's claims about performance improvements?

Reactions: itdk92

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
Maybe they just don't believe AMD's claims about performance improvements?
Why would AMD release a card that’s 0% faster? This has nothing to do with AMD’s claims. If anything, the 2060 is comparable to the Vega 64 at a cheaper price, not the Radeon VII ... which is great for the 2060 and people looking for a cheap card. AMD is still going to release their Navi tech later this year, which will be comparable to the 2060 at a cheaper price, it the rumors are true. If you just look at the current benchmarks you’d realize those sources are a bit ridiculous. I’m not saying AMD’s claims will be 100% true, but those sources seem to be ignoring the existence of the Vega 64 ... or you misinterpreted the sources.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
’m not saying AMD’s claims will be 100% true, but those sources seem to be ignoring the existence of the Vega 64 ... or you misinterpreted the sources.

If vega 64 sits roughly equivalent to a 1080, all it requires is for the 2080 (and models below) to be a bigger leap over the 1080 (likewise for 70 & 60) than this new vega is over the vega 64. It's not like it's an automatic given that "the top vega is equivalent to a x080, and thus it shall ever be". When the numbers come out - fantastic if it's as fast as a 2080, it'll mean macs are only ~30% behind the low-hanging fruit of the rest of the computer world.

Also, the 2080 is now available as a mobile part, so we're still in this stupid scenario where the best, most powerful desktop GPUs we can use, are equivalent to laptop parts in the wider industry. :/

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
If vega 64 sits roughly equivalent to a 1080, all it requires is for the 2080 (and models below) to be a bigger leap over the 1080 (likewise for 70 & 60) than this new vega is over the vega 64. It's not like it's an automatic given that "the top vega is equivalent to a x080, and thus it shall ever be". When the numbers come out - fantastic if it's as fast as a 2080, it'll mean macs are only ~30% behind the low-hanging fruit of the rest of the computer world.

Also, the 2080 is now available as a mobile part, so we're still in this stupid scenario where the best, most powerful desktop GPUs we can use, are equivalent to laptop parts in the wider industry. :/
Honestly, the 2080 and 2080 Ti aren’t a big enough leap for their extortionate price to performance ratio, but that’s where we are. I’m just happy that AMD is releasing anything comparable, otherwise I’d be ditching my MacBook Pro this year.

Reactions: eksu

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Honestly, the 2080 and 2080 Ti aren’t a big enough leap for their extortionate price to performance ratio, but that’s where we are. I’m just happy that AMD is releasing anything comparable, otherwise I’d be ditching my MacBook Pro this year.

well originally you asked why folks weren't excited about it - it's a nuts & gum thing - neither powerful enough to compete on the high end, nor low power enough to be mobile. "Hey, the food's terrible, but at least the portions are huge" isn't a recipe for excitement.

Just a reminder of how being stuck with a single vendor makes things worse.

Reactions: Reindeer_Games

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
well originally you asked why folks weren't excited about it - it's a nuts & gum thing - neither powerful enough to compete on the high end, nor low power enough to be mobile. "Hey, the food's terrible, but at least the portions are huge" isn't a recipe for excitement.

Just a reminder of how being stuck with a single vendor makes things worse.
We’re stuck with a single vendor ... but the single vendor is releasing something worth caring about for once. I guess I’ll just be excited in my own little corner, I guess.

Reactions: itdk92

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
We’re stuck with a single vendor ... but the single vendor is releasing something worth caring about for once. I guess I’ll just be excited in my own little corner, I guess.

What's different about this, vs when the Vega 64 was released (against the gtx 10 series)? That seemed to get a pretty subdued response - is there something about this one you think should be materially different.

Granted we don't have the tulipcoin craze in full swing, so you might be able to find one in stock somewhere for the actual retail price, which i guess would be novel ;)

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
I dunno. It took amd 2 years and a die shrink to match 1080ti performance at 300watts. Seems kinda meh. I’m sure it will have its uses and the large hbm cache could be handy for content creators, but still...

The current generation cards from both parties are not particular engaging this year if you ask me.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
It’s comprarable to the 2080. How is this not exciting? I finally get to have an AMD GPU connected to my MBP that isn’t a steaming POS.

Because I bet when the tests are done properly the RTX will still rule. The 2080 that is.
I’m excited because the 2060 will be half the price and offer more then half the performance. But as said it’s a shame Apple won’t support the drivers on the new OSX.

But AMD are good too don’t get me wrong and we need both of them, competition to push each other along.
I’d look at a Bega 56 but if the RTX2060 costa the same then it’s a tough sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.