Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cwheels123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2023
Hello, I have had a couple of threads but I have still had no luck with getting an AMD RX580 to work.

Previously, I tried using an XFX AMD. This did not have any display output. I gave up with this card and bought a used Nitro Sapphire RX580. Still no output.

I have reinstalled a fresh copy of high sierra, still nothing.

On the systems report, you see that the AMD is not being picked up and has the kernel extension “No Kext Loaded”. NOTE: I had this report on both the nitro and XFX cards.

Please can someone help, I am giving up on the world of modified Mac’s before it started!

Attachments

• IMG_3952.jpeg
    IMG_3952.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 273

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Try removing your GT120.

A 'standard unmodified' RX580 works with Sierra+ (XFX excluded).

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I post this on Big Sur with XFX RX580.
Do know about the bad rep XFX units have but certainly does not apply to their RX580 ... which has an advantage of being 2.0 and not 2.2 slots wide.

Cwheels123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2023
Try removing your GT120.

Unfortunately no luck with taking the GT120 out, still no signal. I can tell the RX580 card is powering up as the fans are on.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I post this on Big Sur with XFX RX580.
Do know about the bad rep XFX units have but certainly does not apply to their RX580 ... which has an advantage of not being 2.0 and not 2.2 slots wide.
But your system is 'unsupported' so using OC to run BS.
A cMP up to Mojave has issues with XFX.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
A cMP up to Mojave has issues with XFX.
Without OpenCore, I can boot into 10.5 Leopard to 10.11 ElCapitan without issue on mine (via RefindPlus - equivalent to native boot ... but not tried directly) and I can similarly boot into 10.12 Sierra when -no_compat_check is set.

Reactions: MarkC426

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
On the systems report, you see that the AMD is not being picked up and has the kernel extension “No Kext Loaded”. NOTE: I had this report on both the nitro and XFX cards.
What model mac pro do you have?

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
I powered in your other thread anout how the golden build I followed mentions not use the XFX due to non standard port layout.

nitro+ however worked OOB with mojave so should be good.
however I went with the pulse version with my hack and Worked great. Now have studio so no longer have the hack.

Cwheels123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2023
Is your firmware updated for metal gpu's?
Normally when you upgrade HS to Mojave the FW is updated.

Not sure of your upgrades path....
I have completed the 4.1 to 5.1 flash and now the bootrom MP51.0089.B00

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Your GPU is not a real RX 580:

IMG_3952.jpeg

Device ID 0x6fdf is a RX 570 flashed to firmware that calls it RX 580 2048 SP. It's a card for the Chinese market and it's not supported by Apple Polaris drivers, essentially a fake factory made. A real RX 580 have the Device ID 0x67DF and have 2304 SPs instead.

You have to find the correct RX 570 firmware on TechPowerUp and flash to the card for it to work with macOS.

Cwheels123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2023

View attachment 2290778

Device ID 0x6fdf is a RX 570 flashed to firmware that calls it RX 580 2048 SP. It's a card for the Chinese market and it's not supported by Apple Polaris drivers, essentially a fake factory made. A real RX 580 have the Device ID 0x67DF and have 2304 SPs instead.

You have to find the correct RX 570 firmware on TechPowerUp and flash to the card for it to work with macOS.
Well that’s disappointing to hear but thank you for the spot. have you got a link to on how to find the correct firmware and how to flash the card? Thank you.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Well that’s disappointing to hear but thank you for the spot. have you got a link to on how to find the correct firmware and how to flash the card? Thank you.

No one did a good write up on this procedure that I know of. You can open a thread on TechPowerUp asking for help.

Anyway, basically you gonna install Windows, then flash every RX 570 firmware that you find on TechPowerUp. Some will work, some won't. The firmwares that work, test with macOS. When the card works with Windows and macOS, you found the correct firmware. If the card is not on warranty, you can take the heatsink off and find the correct maker/model for the VRAM, this will eliminate several incorrect firmwares (GPU-Z will help it too).

Good luck.

Correction: you'll flash the RX 570 version of your card, if it's a Sapphire Nitro 2048SP, flash the Sapphire Nitro RX 570. Sapphire Nitro have at least 4 different models/special editions/whatever, it's a very difficult card to find the correct firmware.

Btw, I'd test the hell out of this card with Windows before anything, maybe you have all the work to correct it and it's a lemon.

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Depending where you bought it, I would try and get a refund as it's not what you ordered.

franzd

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024

Hi! I am having the same problem here. Mine has the correct Device ID you mentioned for the RX580, It would detect that I have an RX580, but same problem with no video signal. I tried everything. :( Any other solutions? This is on 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 btw.

Attachments

• Video Card.jpg
    Video Card.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Video Card.jpg
    Video Card.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 49

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi! I am having the same problem here. Mine has the correct Device ID you mentioned for the RX580, It would detect that I have an RX580, but same problem with no video signal. I tried everything. :( Any other solutions? This is on 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 btw.

Did you tested it with a clean install of High Sierra/Mojave? Unsupported macOS releases installed via OCLP only work with the GPU you installed, support for any other GPUs is removed.

franzd

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
Did you tested it with a clean install of High Sierra/Mojave? Unsupported macOS releases installed via OCLP only work with the GPU you installed, support for any other GPUs is removed.
Yes. I have a clean ssd boot drive for high sierra and it works fine. I have not tried upgrading with mojave yet.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Yes. I have a clean ssd boot drive for high sierra and it works fine. I have not tried upgrading with mojave yet.

The last macOS release where you can use two dissimilar GPUs was High Sierra, Apple removed support for that with Mojave.

I've read the other post you made here, your issue is OCLP. OCLP root patching removes the support/kexts for any other GPU besides the GPU you utilized to install macOS.

Btw, if you are using the HD 5770 so you have the BootPicker to successfully install Monterey via OCLP, EnableGop injection to the GPU firmware or to the Mac Pro BootROM will get you pre-boot configuration support with the RX 580 and you will be able to install Monterey via OCLP without major issues, having a fully functional Boot Picker.

If you can't do it yourself, the BootROM reconstruction service will solve the injection and any other issues you can have with your Mac Pro BootROM.

Reactions: Bee1derful

franzd

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
The last macOS release where you can use two dissimilar GPUs was High Sierra, Apple removed support for that with Mojave.

I've read the other post you made here, your issue is OCLP. OCLP root patching removes the support/kexts for any other GPU besides the GPU you utilized to install macOS.

Btw, if you are using the HD 5770 so you have the BootPicker to successfully install Monterey via OCLP, EnableGop injection to the GPU firmware or to the Mac Pro BootROM will get you pre-boot configuration support with the RX 580 and you will be able to install Monterey via OCLP without major issues, having a fully functional Boot Picker.

If you can't do it yourself, the BootROM reconstruction service will solve the injection and any other issues you can have with your Mac Pro BootROM.
I see. Well this is a lot more complicated (first time reading those terms you mentioned). I will look more into those. 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾 thank you so much for explaining

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I see. Well this is a lot more complicated (first time reading those terms you mentioned). I will look more into those. 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾 thank you so much for explaining

You can get more info about EnableGop injection here:

Since these terms are completely news to you, I'll send you a PM about the BootROM reconstruction service, it will be a lot easier for you and will solve multiple issues in one go.

Reactions: MarkC426

franzd

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
You can get more info about EnableGop injection here:

Since these terms are completely news to you, I'll send you a PM about the BootROM reconstruction service, it will be a lot easier for you and will solve multiple issues in one go.
I got everything working now! Thanks for explaining the card situation.

Here’s how I made it working (this is for whoever in the future that might encounter this problem)

So basically, I have the original radeon hd5770, with booted screen selector, and an upgrade rx580. I have been installing monterey with my hdmi plugged to hd5770, just for me to see the bootscreen. But installing directly with hd5770 will make the rx580 not work. The solution is that I have to install and patch opencore with my hdmi connected thru my rx580, and no ther vcard active. And The problem is I have no bootselector screen. But That is easily solved using this method:

Okay… so I have the monterey finally installed. The next problem I had is installing opencore directly to my bootdrive so I wouldnt have to connect the usb all the time.

Luckily, I still have my original booted hd5770 so I am able to still see the boot selector. I plugged the original video card, turned on the machine with option key pressed, and I am able to select the boot with opencore. But From this point, the machine will be stuck to the apple logo loading screen, since I did not install monterey opencore using the original vcard—a quick fix for this is to hard reset the machine, unplug the original vcard, put the rx580 back inplace and it should recall the last boot drive and boot up normally.

I hope this helps 🙏🏾

seefees

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
I got everything working now! Thanks for explaining the card situation.

Here’s how I made it working (this is for whoever in the future that might encounter this problem)

So basically, I have the original radeon hd5770, with booted screen selector, and an upgrade rx580. I have been installing monterey with my hdmi plugged to hd5770, just for me to see the bootscreen. But installing directly with hd5770 will make the rx580 not work. The solution is that I have to install and patch opencore with my hdmi connected thru my rx580, and no ther vcard active. And The problem is I have no bootselector screen. But That is easily solved using this method:

Okay… so I have the monterey finally installed. The next problem I had is installing opencore directly to my bootdrive so I wouldnt have to connect the usb all the time.

Luckily, I still have my original booted hd5770 so I am able to still see the boot selector. I plugged the original video card, turned on the machine with option key pressed, and I am able to select the boot with opencore. But From this point, the machine will be stuck to the apple logo loading screen, since I did not install monterey opencore using the original vcard—a quick fix for this is to hard reset the machine, unplug the original vcard, put the rx580 back inplace and it should recall the last boot drive and boot up normally.

I hope this helps 🙏🏾
I had exactly the same problem with the only difference my gpu is rx 590 nitro+ which is almost the same with the rx 580 you have. I followed your instructions and everything worked! Thanks a lot for your post it was the only solution after 2 days of trying and hundreds of times swapping gpu's. Except of Blender which is crashing when I try to open it. I think this can be fixed with EnableGop but I haven't tried it yet. Anyway the great news is that I managed to boot Monterey through the radeon rx 590 nitro+ thanks to your post!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.