Amelia Earhart Set to Circumnavigate the World

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Jun 3, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yes, you heard me right. Amelia Earhart. But not that Amelia Earhart. I'll let NPR fill in the rest.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/theprotojournalist/2014/06/02/317332798/amelia-earhart-has-a-flight-plan

I think she'll do it, and have already contributed to her foundation. If anything, her completing it will provide a unique bit of closure to a very long, unsolved mystery.

BL.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Great story, thoroughly enjoyed it, and thanks a lot for posting it.

As a child, I devoured numerous histories of aviation, and, of course, as a girl, I simply adored amazing role models such as Amelia Earhart. Fantastic to see this modern take on an older dream…..

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I used to listen to her traffic reports on 850 KOA. I wish her the best of luck.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Hah. Funny to think it may (largely) have happened just because they shared a name.

....I'm changing my name to Steve Jobs.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

7. Roller macrumors 68020

Really cool story, thanks for posting. I wish Amelia and her co-pilot all the best.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

How old are you!?

9. ucfgrad93, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

48, moved to Colorado in 2005. I always thought that she was using that name as a "stage name" I had no idea it was her real name.

10. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Rumour had it that she was related to Earhart through a common ancestor. That, and wanting to be named after someone who was a positive role model for women (despite what you may or may not have seen in the movie) prompted her parents to name her Amelia.. Turns out she wasn't related at all, but had ancestors living in the same area.

Looking at Earhart's original flight plan, she flew east, where I'm wondering if Amelia is going to fly west. Either way, Howland Island is really out there. Knowing the specs and the range of the PC12, should something happen, it's a long way to the closest airport; Nauro or Christmas Island being the closest suitable landing spots. I wonder which way Amelia is going to go..

BL.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I picked today to browse Current Events and saw threads on the Normandy invasion and Amelia Earhart. Sweet! :cool:

12. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

She's started!

http://www.9news.com/story/life/2014/06/25/amelia-earhart-flight-around-world/11346715/

She's flying eastbound, on the exact same route as Earhart did. Took off this morning from OAK, and landed at BJC, just outside of Denver.

If you're interested in tracking it, you can track the registration of the aircraft at FlightAware. Registration number is in the pictures are in the link above. Pop that in, and off you go.

Time to go queue up Slaughter's Fly to the Angels.

BL.

13. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What a brilliant idea - the flight, and tracking, both; thanks a lot for posting this, bradl.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

She has landed in Dakar, Senegal.

Congrats on a successful crossing of the Atlantic!

16. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Absolutely! Hand flew it as well, to experience what Earhart would have had when she crossed on the same route.

Since Most of Africa isn't covered by FlightAware, Honeywell is helping to track the flight at Amelia's site:

http://www.ameliaearhartproject.com/

Obviously, Twitter is a good way to follow as well.

http://twitter.com/Amelia__Earhart

Definitely following her for sure (as if you couldn't tell already! :) ).

BL.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

She is in Singapore now. This is pretty awesome to follow.

18. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

It really is.

I was getting worried about which route she was going to take across Africa (Boko Haram, Al Shabob, pirates, etc.), but she avoided all of that, and is doing great.

I just got the alert that she filed her flight plan from Singapore to Darwin, and both places have ATC feeds, so we should be able to pick her up again.

BL.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Wonderful story; I'm getting a huge thrill out of following it, as well.

20. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Well, everyone, tomorrow is the big day. They should make Bairiki today, but tomorrow, they'll be passing over Howland Island. This is where I really hope they make it to Christmas Island, as it is a very short hop back to Honolulu. I'm enjoying this so far, but will be watching her twitter feed every chance I get.

BL.

21. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

She's good. Not only made it to Christmas Island, but circled Howland Island in honour of it being the last place Amelia Mary was last heard from, but in doing that, gave out $44,000 in scholarships to girls to fly with her.

Just heard her land in Honolulu. One more leg to go.

BL.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Brilliant - very well done to her, and thanks again, bradl, for the updates. Much appreciated. A terrific story.

23. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Last leg to go! She filed her flight plan this morning, and was to set off by 9 PDT. If I didn't have this blasted Mavericks Certification exam to take, I'd make the drive to OAK to see her come in. She's supposed to be in by 5:40pm PDT.

LiveATC does cover everything from Hawaii all the way in, so you could listen in to everything as she makes it back.

BL.

24. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

And she just landed in Oakland. It was great to not only follow this, but to hear all of the controllers from Honolulu to San Francisco Oceanic, to NORCAL Approach to Oakland Tower congratulating her the entire way. Great stuff here. Her Twitter feed has all the updates. More info there.

BL.