Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I can't believe it....the Galaxy Note has found its place in the world...or rather sky!:eek::D

Here's a link.

After a pilot program (tehe!) the flight attendants found the Galaxy Note to be the most useful device because of the odd size mix.

iPads for the pilots and Notes for the flight attendants. On one plane?:eek: I hope the fandroids and ifans don't take plane soo...Mortal Kombat in mid air!:p

Josh220

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
It's only in case the planes go down. They don't want good tech to be at the bottom of the ocean.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Watching how laggy and unresponsive their application was on that device made me cringe. All the power that phone has, quad core 1.6GHz CPU and it still lags just selecting an item from a drop down menu. :(

I ddn't notice anything super slow. At what time point are you talking about?

It looks like it's probably an HTML5 based application, which means it's not going to be lightning fast.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Watching how laggy and unresponsive their application was on that device made me cringe. All the power that phone has, quad core 1.6GHz CPU and it still lags just selecting an item from a drop down menu. :(

Huh? I saw a couple seconds of stutter, but its most likely an HTML5 based App, and its used 100% for getting work, how fulid the UI animations are doesn't really matter as long as it gets its job done.

I can see why they went with the Note, much more portable than an iPad, and much larger than the iPhone, and screen size matters I would guess in this situation.

kdarling

macrumors P6
59s - the male flight attendant selects an item from a drop down list and the device even after acknowledging his finger press freezes the list in place.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Yep, I see it: the fade-out of the menu pauses for a split second:

I've seen this a lot in HTML5 apps after someone adds a fade transition, trying to be cool. Depends partly on the browser being used and mostly on what's going on the background.

For example, if the developer didn't wait for the animation to end, but went ahead and accessed the seat chart information while triggering the fade at the same time, then that could cause the fade to jump... from full display to full fade... in only a few steps. This looks laggy, but it's just visual, because the time used will always be the same:

You see, the total amount of time taken for the fade does not change... only the number of fade steps will. (Animations are given a time period in which they must finish. In this case, probably 1.5 second. That could end up as being 15 steps at 0.1 sec each, or 3 steps at 0.5 second each. The first looks smooth; the second looks laggy, but they both take the same amount of time.)

As someone mentioned, a JB update will probably help with the visuals.

Cheers!

nyli2

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Am I the only one who thought that the Notes would be used as PTVS in front of every passanger seat ;);)

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Someone better send them the rumors about the iPad mini so that they can make an informed decision. :D

Especially since they'll be running iOS in the cockpit. Better to have all iOS or all android even if their software is custom.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.