Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

American Airlines plans to roll out new iPhones and iPads to pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, and aircraft maintenance technicians over the next year, according to a company memo obtained by View from the Wing.

american-airlines-iphones.jpg

The airline started rolling out the iPhone 12 to its gate agents at Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C. earlier this month, allowing agents to offer service to customers wherever they are in a terminal, per the memo. If the test program is successful, the iPhone 12 will be rolled out to all of the airline's agents over the next year.

American Airlines maintenance technicians have started receiving the seventh-generation iPad, the memo added. Once that rollout is complete by the end of June, they will no longer need to carry two different tablets for different aircraft and activities.

American Airlines pilots will continue to use iPads. The airline recently added a real-time weather app and a new turbulence awareness app to the devices.

Starting in the first quarter of 2022, American Airlines flight attendants will receive an iPhone 12 for customer service and flight management purposes, according to the memo. The new iPhones will have a customized attachment that will accept multiple forms of payment for in-flight purchases, including contactless payments like Apple Pay.

(Thanks, MyHealthyApple!)

Article Link: American Airlines Rolling Out iPhones and iPads to Flight Attendants and Others Over the Next Year

Reactions: DeepIn2U

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I wonder why it is not iPhone Mini since it is easier to move around. Moreover, the Mini sales is not that fantastic and this could further boost up the sales.
It's most cost effective for the peripheral manufactures to produce POS attachments for the standard models rather than the niche models like the mini. I've done a lot of work in this area before and those manufactures (infinite peripherals, Ingenico, etc...) actually have a very slim profit margin. Doesn't make sense to produce POS attachments for all the different iPhone/iPad/iPod models.

The companies rolling out these types of programs also want to make sure these devices are around for the long haul. More than likely the IP12 mini isn't lasting too much longer, whereas the standard 12 will be around for a long time.

Reactions: jntdroid

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I understand the need for some business.

Personally, I'm lucky enough to be able to refuse a company provided phone, even if one has the choice of brand and model.

I want control over my phone and be able to refuse company management, software, etc.

AmazeSE

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder why it is not iPhone Mini since it is easier to move around. Moreover, the Mini sales is not that fantastic and this could further boost up the sales.

I think it's because of the 12 mini's battery life. The larger iPhone 12 has better battery life and a larger screen too.

Sir_Macs_A_Lot

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
The mini's battery is too small. Won't last longer than a flight from Laguardia to O'Hare with a layover in Dallas.

IIGS User

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2019
I wish all this stuff existed when I was doing my flight training.

GPS units were still a luxury, especially ones with maps in them, charts were paper, purchased regularly from an FBO and navigation was done via VOR (if you were lucky) and either by water towers or "iron compass" if not.

I got lost more than once in a small airplane in my youth. It's not a fun feeling!

Reactions: NMBob

ackmondual

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I understand the need for some business.

Personally, I'm lucky enough to be able to refuse a company provided phone, even if one has the choice of brand and model.

I want control over my phone and be able to refuse company management, software, etc.
In this case, couldn't you just use your personal phone for the stuff you'd like to do, while also having your company phone?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G4
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We'll not know the specific model mix as I doubt AA will devulge this. Surely there maybe some whom will option for a mini.

And please stop focusing on 'sales' numbers. The SE 2020 outsold the mini in Q1 but the mini brought in more revenue in total than all the SE 2020 models did in the same time frame due to higher ASP.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G4
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's most cost effective for the peripheral manufactures to produce POS attachments for the standard models rather than the niche models like the mini. I've done a lot of work in this area before and those manufactures (infinite peripherals, Ingenico, etc...) actually have a very slim profit margin. Doesn't make sense to produce POS attachments for all the different iPhone/iPad/iPod models.

The companies rolling out these types of programs also want to make sure these devices are around for the long haul. More than likely the IP12 mini isn't lasting too much longer, whereas the standard 12 will be around for a long time.

Regarding "want to make sure these devices are around for the long haul. " that's where parts and warranty come in. Most companies with MDM supplied mobile phones don't issue new models every year, usually a 2-3yr time-frame like their PC's.

The 12 mini will last, the parts will be available for the same about of time as the 12, 12 Pro or 12 Max will.

And the same pos attachments the 12, 12 Pro or 12 Max has so does the mini - even a MagSafe cover plate for $500US+ made of alligator skin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.