Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=111&sid=1407836

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) - American Airlines will start charging $15 for the first checked bag, cut domestic flights and lay off possibly thousands of workers as it grapples with record-high fuel prices.

Rival Delta has no current plans to match American's fee for the first checked bag, a spokeswoman said.

American, the nation's largest carrier, said Wednesday the fee for the first checked bag starts June 15 and that it would raise other fees for services ranging from reservation help to oversized bags. The other fees will mostly range from $5 to $50 per service, the airline said.

Last month American announced it would join other carriers in charging $25 for second bags checked for some passengers, but it wasn't immediately clear how Wednesday's announcement would affect that.

This is getting ridiculous! I would expect this from the no-frills airlines, but not from the likes of AA. What is next? Start charging for carry on bags? Charging for even soda and water?

Where will this madness end?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I last flew in May 2007. My bag was 20 pounds over the limit costing me $25 on Continential. In Jan 2007 I flew, with a bag that was again overweight, on American where they charged $50. I flew on the 17th and learned that United charges $100 for overweight bags, and $25 for the second bag. Clearly take two bags, save $75. I think $25 for an overweight bag is ok, likewise $25 for a second bag is equally ok. Anything above that is wrong. American Airline is wrong...

Their inability to do anything right is obvious (ie: electrical issues). They're grounded for a period of time and now this? I wonder who their PR person is and how they're going to spin this.

Frankly I would prefer never to check a bag but sometimes it's necessary. I had a carry on this time around that had to be checked and resulted in it being lost for a night. United did nothing for me, nothing at all. However, if I had 2 bags that they lost I bet they'd still gladly charge me for the second bag.

Airlines to me are a necessary evil but they're the worst companies out there. They know we're all at their mercy for the most part and they take total advantage of it. I'd like to say that eventually this will come back to bite them in the ass but we all know that will never be the case.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'd like to say that I'm shocked, but I'm not. The airlines have been on a race to the bottom for years and this is only the latest step. If the FAA would allow passengers to fly standing up, one or more the the airlines would surely start charging extra for passengers who wanted to sit down.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What's next, charge for carry on? Charge for how many pieces of clothing you are wearing? "Sir, that will be extra $5 charge for your glasses"

By the way, the downward spiral is mainly experienced by airlines based in the US. Many foreign airlines have great services.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I don't know what keeps me from stepping foot on an airplane the most, being terrified of heights or their pathetic service.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
This is absolute crap. All this is going to do is make the customer feel nickel and dimed. Not a smart move. Why not just bump your rates up $25 or so?

You do have to lay a lot of blame on some of these airlines for not modernizing their fleets. Some of these operations are flying 20-30 year old planes. Continental did it right, they invested in newer, more fuel efficient planes a while back. Its paying dividens for them now.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
if the excuse is that the extra weight costs money to carry, they should provide discount to anyone that is below the average adult weight+1 suitcase.

your ticket should pay for:
190 pounds (average american man)
20 pounds 1 checked-in luggage

extra 10 pounds for 1 carry-on luggage.

add 20 pounds for international flights.

they weigh you at check in with the check-in luggage and than you pay more or get cash back depending on how much you are above or below the weight limit (in equal amounts and with an upper limit of 2x tickets).

why should a 40 pounds child pay extra for luggage when the total cargo s/he is responsible for is 1/3 in weight than that of a luggage-less adult?

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Can you imagine the customer response when the airline loses/misplaces the bag?

Not to mention the fact that airplanes simply aren't outfitted for everyone to bring a carry-on bag.

Also not to mention the fact that more carry-on bags slows boarding and deboarding.

Oy! It's going to be a bad summer in the air. :(

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
You can thank the value of the USD and the rising price of oil for this. I hope that this doesn't start spreading around the world, though, as I hardly ever fly airlines based in the US. I work in logistics for Lufthansa, and I've got to say that we're not anywhere close to having to do this, as we (along with most other international carriers) are turning amazing profits with growth in the market lately.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Well this ticks me off since AA has been my airline of choice for the past three years of travel. I have had pretty decent service from the employees at all levels. I even have put up with connecting flights to the West Coast, instead of flying other airlines direct/non-stop. All for the FF miles and potential of upgrades.

Unfortunately I don't fly enough to have Gold or better status with them in order not to pay their $15 blood money. Nor am I rich enough to pay full price for a coach seat. Once I burn through the FF miles I have with AA, my flying $ will go to the airline that has the best value, service, and schedule for my air travel needs.

Eclipse278

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
American pays 1.6 billion (with a b) dollars MORE for fuel this week than last week.

What happens when they raise fares is they drop to the bottom of expedia.com and no one buys tickets. So they have to raise prices this way. Anyways, air travel is still sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap that it makes me sick to hear this.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
American pays 1.6 billion (with a b) dollars MORE for fuel this week than last week.

What happens when they raise fares is they drop to the bottom of expedia.com and no one buys tickets. So they have to raise prices this way. Anyways, air travel is still sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap that it makes me sick to hear this.

Problem is with your comment is that most airlines (those that did some hedging are doing better right now) are suffering from higher fuel costs.

You are right that air travel is cheap in reality even with rising prices when adjusted for inflation. But at what cost? Used to be that flying was an event worth waiting for, not dreading. Used to be that getting any job with an airline was a stepping stone to the middle class - not a dead-end entry level paying job.

Yet the cheap flying days will soon be gone if the mergers being talked about come true. I remember when Independence Air was flying out of Dulles/IAD. They offered great service IMO. But they were killed by United under cutting them even while United operated under bankruptcy! So what is up with the bankruptcy courts?!

We need to take a re-look at deregulation of infrastructure basics like transportation and energy. While it has given us lower prices in the short term, but it seems to lead to higher prices in the end.

In regards to the airlines, bring back regulation! Let the airlines then again compete on schedules and customer service!

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I almost exclusively fly AA, got tons of miles, elite status, etc. So in theory this charge doesn't apply to me, or to my wife IF she is flying with me. My current client is closer to home, so I am not flying as much and I might lose my "elite" status, and then the new fees will hit me.

But for anybody who has flow recently, we all know that with some of the liquids you have to carry, you MUST check in your bag, and with the limited space on the planes (American Eagle?!?!?!) you can barely fit in a standard-sized bag without a big hassle. I mean people already bring over sized bags on board and create chaos TODAY. Can you imagine after 6/15? :mad:

For those who are flying weekly (or close) but haven't gotten to elite status, call AA up and ask for a challenge. Basically they count the miles you travel over a certain period of time (I believe 2-3 months), and if you hit that challenge you get elite status. So you can get Gold at 20k miles vs. 50k. Etc.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Problem is with your comment is that most airlines (those that did some hedging are doing better right now) are suffering from higher fuel costs.

You are right that air travel is cheap in reality even with rising prices when adjusted for inflation. But at what cost? Used to be that flying was an event worth waiting for, not dreading. Used to be that getting any job with an airline was a stepping stone to the middle class - not a dead-end entry level paying job.

Yet the cheap flying days will soon be gone if the mergers being talked about come true. I remember when Independence Air was flying out of Dulles/IAD. They offered great service IMO. But they were killed by United under cutting them even while United operated under bankruptcy! So what is up with the bankruptcy courts?!

We need to take a re-look at deregulation of infrastructure basics like transportation and energy. While it has given us lower prices in the short term, but it seems to lead to higher prices in the end.

In regards to the airlines, bring back regulation! Let the airlines then again compete on schedules and customer service!
Flying was an event worth waiting for and a great career when flying was expensive and stewardesses over thirty were kicked out (joke). I blame the discount airlines and stringent price wars for the drop in service quality and subsequent bad names for the airlines. I say go back to 1960's prices (adjusted for inflation) to shrink down the airlines and boost service to comfortable levels, and try to revive the romantic era of air travel and the jet-setter.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I too dread the soon-to-come fights over the size and weight of carry-on luggage. I foresee people trying to bring large bags on the flight with them, and those that make it pass the desk clerk with the bag will only cause frustration for themselves and everyone else on the plane when their bag neither fits overhead or under the seat in front of them. This is only going to cause further hassle to everyone. I can understand the extra charge for more than one bag per person and would gladly submit to it, but it's bull to charge for the very 1st bag. :mad:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I can understand the extra charge for more than one bag per person and would gladly submit to it, but it's bull to charge for the very 1st bag. :mad:

I agree. I didn't have a problem with the 2nd bag, because I believe in traveling light. But with this one now, it is just ridiculous.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I almost exclusively fly AA, got tons of miles, elite status, etc. So in theory this charge doesn't apply to me, or to my wife IF she is flying with me. My current client is closer to home, so I am not flying as much and I might lose my "elite" status, and then the new fees will hit me.

But for anybody who has flow recently, we all know that with some of the liquids you have to carry, you MUST check in your bag, and with the limited space on the planes (American Eagle?!?!?!) you can barely fit in a standard-sized bag without a big hassle. I mean people already bring over sized bags on board and create chaos TODAY. Can you imagine after 6/15? :mad:

For those who are flying weekly (or close) but haven't gotten to elite status, call AA up and ask for a challenge. Basically they count the miles you travel over a certain period of time (I believe 2-3 months), and if you hit that challenge you get elite status. So you can get Gold at 20k miles vs. 50k. Etc.

Here is a link that explains the challenge:

http://members.shaw.ca/fewmiles/AA/recht/challenge.html

Did that last year. I am now expired as a Gold member. I could have paid almost $500 to maintain it.

You are right that the new fee will create hassles when boarding, because folks will be trying to beat the fee....

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah. If I hadn't already booked an October flight through AA, I sure wouldn't do it through them now. On principle, I'd rather have a connecting flight through another airline.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Yeah. If I hadn't already booked an October flight through AA, I sure wouldn't do it through them now. On principle, I'd rather have a connecting flight through another airline.

it's not only a 'principle' thing. for some of the reasons stated above, it WILL be more uncomfortable for everyone flying AA, because everyone is going to try to bring everything as a carry-on, causing increased delays at security, check in, boarding, deboarding. Plus, the flight itself might get a pain especially if you board late, because there might be no space left in the overhead compartments for your bag/coat (even if small) so you'll have to keep it with you in flight.

in any case, it would have been wiser from a marketing perspective to slightly increase the price and then offer incentives if you travel light, such as a coupon or extra miles or even cash if you don't check in a bag and/or you have a very small carry-on.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I agree. I didn't have a problem with the 2nd bag, because I believe in traveling light. But with this one now, it is just ridiculous.

+1. (well, a *big* problem) . . . but this is going to backfire since now people will carry on much more, and it's already bad. Not to mention people will make every bag 50 pounds--so much for packing two lighter bags--I'm getting full value for the charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.