American Civil War Bubble Gum Cards

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Scepticalscribe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The title says it: American Civil War (Bubble-Gum/Chewing-Gum) Cards:

Tonight at dinner (paella washed down by Spanish wine), my brother and I were reminiscing about certain aspects of our childhood and he mentioned the Civil War (chewing gum) cards, and that he had googled them. We were both avid collectors of these cards at the time and I must admit that until he mentioned them, I had forgotten all about them entirely. So, I googled them this evening, and spent a very pleasurable hour re-reading the captions on each and every one of them and studying the cards themselves.

Initially, they were issued in the USA as part of the centenary of the Civil War, and were printed to resemble news stories of events, and stories, which happened in 'real time' (only a hundred years earlier). A few years later, these cards, in chewing gum wrappers, turned up in the UK and Ireland, where my brother and I collected them (avidly).

I remember the vivid art-work on the cards, gory, grisly and gripping all at once, with a strong and striking sense of colour reminiscent of art-nouveau. This evening, re-reading them, I was also struck by the sophisticated vocabulary on the cards; when they appeared in the British Isles, in the late 60s, we were small kids, and while we struggled with a vocabulary which made few concessions to the world of kids, we were expected to try to make some sort of sense of it.

I never managed to obtain a complete set - but did somehow get around 60 odd of the 88 cards in the set. As my father had an interest in the American Civil War, our interest in these cards (and the war itself) was encouraged. Given the violent nature of the acts of war depicted on the cards, I'm not sure whether kids these days would be permitted to collect such things, but I expect some online games are a lot more gory.

So, are there any other nerds from the 60s around? Does anyone else remember these incredibly detailed cards? Anyone else ever bother (or even get excited about) collecting them?

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I do remember once getting one pack of chewing gum, with Confederacy Bank notes. It would have been in the 1960's a friend of my father had been on a trip to the UK. He also had the Avalon Hill board game Gettysburg.

I also remember that the chewing gum was vile, so vile that we wouldn't eat it.

3. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You are quite right, they did come with Confederacy Bank notes; I don't recall the gum itself - I've no doubt it was vile, but the cards were my interest, not the gum.