Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Nothing says American more than American Express. Where ever you are in the world scream it loud and clear. America Bitches

:D

You're from the UK, I'd think you'd know better. Amex popularity is skyrocketing in the UK, because it's a much better value proposition. For small merchants, the real cost of acceptance can be LOWER than Visa/MC (because the processor margins are much smaller) despite the lack of regulated interchange. For banks, the amount they get in their pocket is higher. And that means better rewards.

You don't get much more British than British Airways, and the best British Airways offer is the Lloyd's (also very British) BA Amex (the account is dual-network with two cards, but you get 20% of the rewards rate if you use the MasterCard).

American Express is heavily invested in the UK, and it's as British as it is American in many ways. Their European operations are largely centred around Britain, they're making massive attempts to win merchant acceptance (it's nearly as high as in the US now, to be honest), and they're pushing their cards as an excellent value proposition.

The only losers are the processors (who've always had insane margins), and the larger interchange-plus and direct connect merchants (who lose out on regulated interchange). Small businesses win, consumers win, banks win. What's not to like?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
You're from the UK, I'd think you'd know better. Amex popularity is skyrocketing in the UK, because it's a much better value proposition. For small merchants, the real cost of acceptance can be LOWER than Visa/MC (because the processor margins are much smaller) despite the lack of regulated interchange. For banks, the amount they get in their pocket is higher. And that means better rewards.

You don't get much more British than British Airways, and the best British Airways offer is the Lloyd's (also very British) BA Amex (the account is dual-network with two cards, but you get 20% of the rewards rate if you use the MasterCard).

American Express is heavily invested in the UK, and it's as British as it is American in many ways. Their European operations are largely centred around Britain, they're making massive attempts to win merchant acceptance (it's nearly as high as in the US now, to be honest), and they're pushing their cards as an excellent value proposition.

The only losers are the processors (who've always had insane margins), and the larger interchange-plus and direct connect merchants (who lose out on regulated interchange). Small businesses win, consumers win, banks win. What's not to like?

It was a joke ;)

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
It was a joke ;)

Oh, I know, I was joking back mostly :) . But I still wanted to clarify that Amex is more devoted to Britain than Visa or Mastercard, really. Which is a fact most people don't know. They're really a great company in how they treat their customers, employees (though they were forced into layoffs... not good), everyone. I'm just a customer, but I know a few employees and they love it. Plus, Brighton, can't beat living in Brighton (though they have London offices as well, London's fab and all too!)

Now, go to Ireland. That's another story. It's like a time warp. Most shops can't take Amex as a chip card in Ireland (as of last summer), they still swipe it. Which confuses everyone. And the Amex Ireland website hasn't been updated in years. It's like they gave up and left everything frozen in time. They still work, but nothing's been updated or changed in most of a decade.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Oh, I know, I was joking back mostly :) . But I still wanted to clarify that Amex is more devoted to Britain than Visa or Mastercard, really. Which is a fact most people don't know. They're really a great company in how they treat their customers, employees (though they were forced into layoffs... not good), everyone. I'm just a customer, but I know a few employees and they love it. Plus, Brighton, can't beat living in Brighton (though they have London offices as well, London's fab and all too!)

Now, go to Ireland. That's another story. It's like a time warp. Most shops can't take Amex as a chip card in Ireland (as of last summer), they still swipe it. Which confuses everyone. And the Amex Ireland website hasn't been updated in years. It's like they gave up and left everything frozen in time. They still work, but nothing's been updated or changed in most of a decade.

I remember when the american express adverts hit UK tv in the early 80's :)

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I remember when the american express adverts hit UK tv in the early 80's :)

I wasn't alive then :) But it's always been a thing, it's just grown massively while in the US it's levelled off. There are reasons for this. One is a programme called OptBlue that lets small businesses have Amex acceptance under similar terms to Visa/MC/Diner's Club/Discover without having to commit to a contract with Amex. This is also available in the US but not rolled out as widely. Another is simple market demand due to dual-network offerings like Lloyd's (this accounts for new large merchants such as H&M). Finally, small business owners are seeing that Amex really does give them more fair terms the way they do business. Amex costing a fortune to accept is a myth. Yes, the rate will be higher than your lowest Visa/MC rate - probably a lot higher. But you'll generally pay the same rate for foreign cards (including non-EU), swiped cards (if the card doesn't have a chip), awards cards, airline cards, etc. You pay a card-present and a card-not-present rate. No insane tiers and rate schedules. If you're in a tourism related business, Amex can be far cheaper to accept! If you're a corner store in a rural town where most people have debit cards, it's definitely more expensive. Overall, it's much more fair.

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
No idea what your speaking of. I have had my Amex corp. plat. setup since day 1.

https://community.americanexpress.com/thread/5592

Here's the quote from Beth at AmEx:

"At this time Corporate Cards are not eligible and we have not been advised if and when they will be. Hang in there though, we are listening to your feedback."

----------

No idea what your speaking of. I have had my Amex corp. plat. setup since day 1.

Oh and I just wrote AmEx the other day and here is their reply as of 2.20.15:

"We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Unfortunately, Corporate Cards are not eligible to use Apple Pay mobile wallet application as of now.

If in future these Cards will be eligible, we'll notify you."

- AmEx Customer Service

The company I work for only uses the standard green Corporate Cards.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
https://community.americanexpress.com/thread/5592

Here's the quote from Beth at AmEx:

"At this time Corporate Cards are not eligible and we have not been advised if and when they will be. Hang in there though, we are listening to your feedback."

----------

Oh and I just wrote AmEx the other day and here is their reply as of 2.20.15:

"We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Unfortunately, Corporate Cards are not eligible to use Apple Pay mobile wallet application as of now.

If in future these Cards will be eligible, we'll notify you."

- AmEx Customer Service

The company I work for only uses the standard green Corporate Cards.

Hmmm.

I have an AMEX Corp Platinum, and I assure you it is set up and has been functional since day 1. Both passbook and apple pay.

Not sure why they would limit it to that card alone.

Strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.