American Express Replacement!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by errorunknown, Jun 22, 2011.

1. errorunknown macrumors member

Over the past two months my 2010 15.4" MBP had been bugging out on me. First, when I would move my laptop onto my laptop it would freeze from time to time and make the screen flicker/glitch. I brought it into apple and first they reseated the screen cable. 2 days later the same thing happens but this time they replace the screen unit. Everything is good for about a week but then I noticed that when I tapped on the left side of my laptop next to the trackpad my MBP would freeze/glitch again. Apple replaced the screen AGAIN (why, I don't know). When I got the laptop back this time, I would experience the same issue just by resting my left hand on the laptop. This made the laptop unusable unless it was on a desk! At this point my warranty had just ran out for about a week. I was fairly sure it was the logic board at this time, but I had a feeling that there was other defective parts. I had purchased my laptop using American Express and called regarding their one year entended warranty that is included for free automatically. They told me to submit my invoice, billing statement, and repair quote for the laptop. I went back to Apple and they quoted me $450 for replacing the logic board. They offered to fix it for free since the original issue was not resolved yet, but I figured I would try American Express first. About a week and a half later I get a call from AA telling me that they were going to replace my laptop! All I had to do was send in my laptop and they would credit my account. I settled on the high end 15.4" with the antiglare screen this time. As of right now, the laptop should be arriving within 3 days.

I highly recommend you guys purchase your electronics with American Express. Not only do you get the 1 year extended warranty but you also get 90 day ACCIDENTAL/THEFT warranty. Not even applecare covers accidental damage and they wouldn't replace a laptop either. IMO, the ~$280 for Apple Care is NOT worth it for just an extra year of warranty beyond AA coverage. Most issues will come up in the first year if not the second year.

TLDR: American Express replaced my MBP with no hassle at all

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I agree on the American Express (I have used it a few times and it works like a charm), but don't agree on the AppleCare replacement. I use my Amex and buy AppleCare as well. When my 2008 went bad, it had 7 days left on the AppleCare, and Apple replaced my 2008 with the 2.3 i7 MBP with HR and Anti-glare. It was painless as it was swapped out in store. Can't beat that service as no waiting at all. Also the AppleCare gets you in-store support no questions asked. I have heard of people being turned away for support as they didn't have the AppleCare.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

AMEX is by far one of the better cards out there for things like that, at least in my experience. Where Apple may fail you (or where you may sustain damage that is not covered by AC), AMEX swoops in and saves the day more often than not.

Good for you OP.

4. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

My mom bought my first MacBook with her American Express card. Now I'm using the 2010 15 inch MacBook Pro. I paid for it this time, but she suggested for me to use her American Express card to make the purchase. I didn't, but maybe I will next time!

5. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

i've been with AMEX with the past two years now and I never understood exactly how the protection works. maybe someone can clue me in (and yes, i read the FAQ :p)

Oh ok! In a hypothetically situation. If my laptop (was bought for 2000) broke within the extended warranty period but past the original manufacturers warranty how would i go about? Do I send it to AMEX and they credit me with the 2000? Do I have to provided the receipt of how much I paid? etc etc

Im just confused on if I have an option of getting it reimbursed fully or you guys paying for the repairs from a company (maybe a third party) or do you guys rather just reimburse the amount of the whole laptop

from your post, it sounds like they reimbursed you for more than the laptop so you were able to get the high end 15. I may be wrong though. Any clue ins would be helpful! stupid FAQ is terrible.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

In my case it was for $200-$300 items and they just credited the card for the purchase price for me.

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You do realize you violated the terms of the AMEX extended warranty, right? Once Apple fixes an item, they give you 90 days coverage, so even while your original warranty ran out, you were still covered for 90 days (you wrote problems started 2 months ago, so you had 1 month left at the very least) plus you said even Apple agreed to repair it for free.

AMEX is very clear that if other coverage applies, you should use those policies with your AMEX coverage as last resort.

I know you were just trying out AMEX, but next time, if Apple agrees to repair it for free, you should take them up on it. Hate to see you get charged back if/when AMEX finds out through their random audits.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I put all my electronic purchases on the amex for this reason. Plus it is nice to tell the people at the counter you get a free warranty for an extra year, makes them not push the in house warranty any more.

Also the 90 day theft/damage/return policy is nice.

Haven't used the airport lounges yet, but I can't wait.

9. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

It works (only w/ certain platinum and black cards) and you have to be ticketed on the airline whose club you use; unlike an airline club where you can use the lounge anytime you are in the airport, no matter who you are flying.