American Express/Visa Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by krause734, Apr 16, 2012.

1. krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

I was told that purchasing electronics with an AMEX or maybe even VISA extends the warranty of the item by double the length of time. Apple Care = 1 year, so this would extend the warranty to 2 years. My dad filed a claim through AMEX when his camera got damaged out of the warranty and it was fully refunded.
    I bought my iPad with an Amex for this reason because I heard that they are the easiest to deal with.

Does anyone else know about this or have you used it on an Apple or other product?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Haven't ever filed a claim with Amex, but I rely on the peace of mind it gives me for my purchases. The accidental damage, theft, and loss coverage for the first 3 months is pretty cool, too.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I used it on my TiVo when it broke a few months out of its one-year warranty. I paid TiVo to repair it, filled out a claim form on the Amex website, and they credited me for the repair a week or so later.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Absolutely right. All Amex cards offer this perk, but it's highly variable with Visa and MasterCard (dependent upon the bank) and Discover doesn't offer this benefit at all.

To the best of my knowledge, Amex offers the best extended warranty and purchase assurance since they don't require the entire cost of the item to be charged to the card, which is handy if you have stray gift cards you want to use (though your coverage only extends to the amount charged to the card, of course).

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

AMEX will cover an electronic purchase up to a MAXIMUM of $1000 for a period of 12 months after the date of purchase. AMEX does not double the warranty, and their protection runs concurrently with the applecare that you get for a year regardless. Visa as far as I am aware doesn't offer any such protection outside of disputing the original charge. I don't recommend relying on a credit card warranty as they usually have lots of terms and conditions and cap the value they will refund, and AMEX is for sure a $1000 max and your on the hook for the difference. I have my MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iMac all on my homeowners as a rider this way if anything ever happens I know I am covered for the full amount.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Amex purchase protection (accidental damage, theft) is limited to $1,000 per incident, but the extended warranty covers up to $10,000 (not to exceed the amount charged to the card) for one year after the original manufacturers warranty.

My Chase Amazon Visa and Citi Platinum MasterCard offer similar benefits, though not quite as good. Also remember that the majority of home owners have a deductible with their home owners' insurance, making these credit card benefits more appealing as a means of repair reimbursement.

7. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Thanks for correcting that it seems I was misinformed. I had an issue with my original MB a year or two ago and was told that AMEX would only credit me a max of $1000 hence why I didn't use Amex to buy my new MBP or MBA. Also for some reason I thought the OP was talking about a MBP not an iPad which is why I brought up the rider. I completely misunderstood this thread, I again thought he wanted info about replacement not repair. My apologies all.