American Gods (Starz - Potential Spoilers)

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Just started this but I have read the book and am not too concerned about Spoilers

So far the acting is pretty good and just like in the book Shadow comes off kind of flat. Overall, though, great stuff.

Note: There are some serious political topics covered in the show which, for the time being, i would prefer to avoid.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's fantastic. I've been reading Gaiman since the 80s and they did a spectacular job with his material (he was very consultative during the production).

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just finished watching season one. The premise is very interesting. I enjoyed the characters and the dialogue was fun, especially all of the nicknames.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Are they doing a second season? I know there has been a lot of talk of people moving out, or stepping away from it.
They just aired the S2 preview :) Yes, it's coming back, lots of good info from NYCC, here's a good bit:

American Gods season 2 won’t be on TV until some time in 2019, but the cast still had plenty to tease while pushing back on reports that the show was in turmoil behind-the-scenes.

Ahead of New York Comic Con, to say that there was a bit of concern surrounding American Gods would be an understatement. In the past year, the show lost its showrunners (and allegedly fired the replacement). The writers had reportedly scrapped the season 2 finale and started over, which pushed filming back several weeks. There were reports that author Neil Gaiman (who’s been involved with the show since the beginning) wanted a more straightforward adaptation of his beloved novel versus what had been done in season 1.

american gods season 2 technical boy
STARZ/YouTube

Gaiman characterized the latest report from Hollywood Reporter of behind-the-scenes turmoil as “********,” but he and the cast acknowledged that the show scrapped the season 2 finale script because the original wasn’t quite right.

“What happened was we had a script for the finale that didn’t work,” Gaiman said in a roundtable interview. “And rather than rush it through, we said OK, so we stopped and we got the script right and then we shot it, which meant that everything was three or four weeks delayed. And that was fine because we had reshoots and things that needed to be done anyway from earlier in the season ’cause you always do, so we shot them, did the reshoots, and we did whatever else we needed to do in the pickups, and we started shooting 2×08 [the season 2 finale].”

Reactions: rhett7660