American in Paris

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmcgeejr, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jmcgeejr, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

So I am traveling to paris for 3 weeks, i have a factory unlocked (GSM) 4s, I am needing access to unlimited data for the 3 weeks that I am there. It looks like orange mobicarte is the best way to go but I want to make sure I do this the right way, as I dont speak a lot of french, I have google translate for my phone though :) Can anyone confirm this is the right thing to do? Looks like it's 15 for the sim, then 12 for the Internet Max and then another 6 for email. I need to have the email as corporate email is exchange.

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

3. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

yeppers.

4. jlhandy macrumors newbie

jlhandy

I've traveled threw Europe multiple times, I went this last summer with my iphone 4 for ATT and payed for the one of the aboard service plans then used wifi for internet connection.

Are you wanting unlimited data for you will have access to internet?
    There are plenty of offline apps available for designed traveling to outside countries.
    Paris also has a lot of free wifi available to use, there was also a wifi services I payed for that gave me access to it all over the city of Paris.

Getting a phone plan abroad is a very smart idea, but in my opinion since you will be visiting Paris and you live on the west coast, like I do, I would stick to free wifi services for internet because the time difference you can really only talk to people in the morning/early afternoon and evening/late evening, (basically times you would be most likely be in a hotel or available to take the time to check your email/news/social medias/ etc)

I hope this gives you something to think about, if nothing else..

5. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I'm also going to be traveling to Paris and Lyon France for about 7 weeks this summer. I've glanced at AT&Ts roaming plans for voice and data, and they seem extremely expensive.

My plan is to be on Airplane-mode the entire time and rely on Wi-fi the entire time. Though I understand that this may not be a viable option to many people who might need voice connection at all times.

I'm going to try to rely on using iMessage through wifi as well as TextNow to message non-iPhone numbers. I believe I could also make inexpensive phone calls with TextNow as well as simply using FaceTime to keep in touch with my parents.

6. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Thanks for the idea, however I work for a very small company and I am the sole IT person, so during this trip I need to have constant access to push notifications, I have someone who can go in and do hardware based stuff, swap out a bad hard drive on a server etc, but the rest is up to me, so I can't rely on just hopping from free wifi to another one.

I have no need for voice coverage or very minimal really.