American Iphone 3gs in the uk

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by oserere, Jun 7, 2010.

1. oserere macrumors newbie

Going to America in a couple of weeks and just wondering if i could buy a iphone 3gs or iphone 4 and bring it to the uk. so my plan is to go to a o2 uk after and get a Sim (if i get the iphone 4 i will wait till o2 releases the iphone 4 in the UK so i can get micro sim) and then put it into American iphone and activate it will my plan work or will i have to jailbreak it, cause it would be to cumbersome to keep jail breaking after each update.

2. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Until that Unlock is released, I don't think that will work.

3. oserere thread starter macrumors newbie

but i thought if i got an iphone on at&t i could activate it with a o2 sim, since o2 carry the iphone aswell, i thought you could use any iphone on any carrier that sold it, has anyone tried this ?

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

no it wont work, there is no unlock for the US iphone, and worst of all you will not have a warrenty in the UK as it would only be valid in the US.

just be patient, you will not gain anything from buying it in the US and will likely cause far more heatache than good.