American iPhone hacked for UK?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SRossi, Sep 22, 2009.

1. SRossi macrumors regular

Hi all,

I looked through quite a few threads but I couldn't find an answer that was definite to me.

So here it goes, if I were to buy an iPhone in the US, int the apple store, could it be hacked using redsn0w, ultrasn0w etc. to be used with a 02 sim only contract.

If it can be done which iPhone is the best to use to be jailbroken and used?

Thanks,

Stephen

2. philstone macrumors 6502

3G/S - yes as long as its firmware 3.01 or older... at the moment 3.1 basband cannot be unlocked...

3. SRossi thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh thats good, if I was to buy one brand new which firmware would be bundled with it?

Also what should I do when I get it, like should it be activated with AT&T or should I leave that and only activate it when I return to the UK?

Sorry for being stupid :).

Stephen

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Don't forget you can't buy the iPhone in the USA without signing up to a 2 year contract with AT&T and you will also need a US ID.

5. SRossi thread starter macrumors regular

Ahha that puts plans on hold. So you cannot buy a contract free iPhone in the US? Like you can in the O2 stores?

Stephen

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Correct, you cannot. :)

You can search ebay, Craigslist etc for someone local (here in the US) while you are here perhaps that is selling a 3G or 3GS.