american iphone in the uk on 02?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamhobo, Oct 9, 2007.

1. iamhobo macrumors newbie

i am off to new york in a few weeks and wanted to take advantage of the exchange rate by bagging an iphone over there to activate on 02 over here when they launch. Just wanted to make sure that it's possible. :) cheers

2. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I asked this question a while back and didn't get a concrete answer, however the general consensus was that it probably wouldn't work, not too sure why.

3. iamhobo thread starter macrumors newbie

i though it would, i mean i cant see them having hardware specific phones for different carriers, or they will have to have like 30 different production lines going! haha i just wanted to make sure.

4. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I doubt it'll work. iPhones have the software on them to lock them to the carrier, in the US iPhone case, AT&T. Also, you wont be able to use Wifi spots around the UK that are free for the UK iPhone customers, as the MAC address wont match a UK iPhone.

5. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure, and I don't see how anyone can know yet - the iphone is not yet available in the UK, so nobody has activated on O2 yet, unless I've missed something...

6. DJS1234 macrumors regular

it won't work, I have posted on this before (It'll be just like Blackberry BIS logins that are network specific)

The key to it all is iTunes activation, you have to go through the Apple iTunes activation servers and they simply lookup your IMEI and match that in a table against which operator it was destined for. If you buy it in New York that will be AT&T, but it in London, it'll be O2.

No multiple hardware versions required, just a database table column on the iTunes activation servers.