American Iphone replaced in the UK. Unlocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dreamingoflions, Oct 18, 2010.

1. dreamingoflions macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have a jailbroken phone which I bought in the US.
    I moved to the UK and my phone is still under warranty (well I jailbroke it so that voids it right) and there is a chip in the phone right by the headphones. Usually when there is a crack they'll replace the phone. If I get the american iphone replaced in the UK will they give me an unlocked phone?

Also will they replace it since it is jailbroken?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

you can always restore it so they can't tell that it's been jailbroken. However you may have a hard time getting it replaced outside of the country you bought it in as most companies only will do work on the phone where you bought it. If you are able to get a replacement it probably would be unlocked as Apple most likely doesn't have any at&t locked phones in the UK

3. jthomp macrumors regular

Restore it before you go in, and they will never know it was jailbroken. I'm in for later as I am curious to hear how you made out...

4. dreamingoflions thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going in on saturday and will try to get it exchanged. I don't see why they wouldn't give me an unlocked phone. I am just worried that they'll notice that it is jailbroken but how could they even tell? I don't want to restore it in case they will not exchange it because then I will have to upgrade to 4.1....

5. seifer333 macrumors member

my understanding is the apple warranty is not global. It's only valid in the country that you bought it from. Therefore, you cannot get a replacement in the UK if your phone is bought from the US.

6. dreamingoflions thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I successfully got my phone exchanged in Glasgow!

I have a new 3GS and my Vodafone SIM card works. Also I am back at 4.1....

BUT the guy at the apple genius bar told me that that once I try to restore or back it up that there is a good chance that it will restore itself to its original activation profile because the phone is still registered to me....since I bought it locked in AT&T it might switch back to wanting an AT&T SIM card and lock itself to AT&T.

Anybody know about this? I don't want to connect to iTunes until I am sure that it will not lock itself (especially because I do not know how to jailbreak 4.1)

Any idea?

7. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Why not set it up as a new profile, then nothing to revert to. Then sync back your apps, contacts, music, etc which you can do to a phone that has been set up as new.

8. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Im curious, did you end up restoring the old phone? Did the guy say or ask you anything about the phone being American? Or did he not even notice?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually the Apple iphone warranty has just been changed months ago to global coverage.
    So you can get it replaced anywhere there's an Apple store. When your old phones serial number is entered into their system and a replacement phone is given for that phone all configuration is automaticly transfered to the new headset. So if it was locked to AT&T before the new replacement will also be the same. If it was factory unlocked the refurb will also be the same and so on.

10. dreamingoflions thread starter macrumors newbie

So once i'll connect it to my itunes it will lock itself? Then why is it currently accepting my vodafone sim card instead of my at&t card and how can i keep it that way?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once it syncs with itunes the correct settings will be transfered Im pretty sure or you might be stuck with a vodafone locked phone. I know the iphones sold by carriers in Canada get locked to the first sim they're activated on so it is kinda tricky.
    This is what I heard from people traveling back and forth overseas and getting replacements.
    The system is in place so if Im on a trip to Europe and bring my iphone to an Apple store in the UK for example I dont get a factory unlocked phone for an AT&T one.
    If that was the case everyone would be doing it and Im sure Apple has thought about it.