Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

To alleviate a severe blood shortage, the American Red Cross has teamed up with Apple to offer a 4-month Apple Music trial to those who donate blood, platelets, or plasma during the month of August.

apple-music-album-cover-art.png

Blood donors will need to donate blood from August 1 to August 31 to get the free 4-month Apple Music special, which will be delivered by email. The trial is limited to new Apple Music subscribers who have not tried the service yet.

Those who donate before August 15 will also be entered to win a VIP journey to the Bonnaroo music festival in Tennessee.

red-cross-apple-music-promo.jpg

Appointments to donate blood can be made through the Red Cross website.

(Thanks, Phil!)

Article Link: American Red Cross Offers 4-Month Apple Music Trial for Blood Donors

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I thought this was a great idea.

Then I noticed it’s only for people who haven’t had a trial.

So actually it means absolutely nothing since Apple is already offering these 4 months to anyone. I got an advert yesterday but it was no use since I’ve used a previous trial.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020

Then I noticed it’s only for people who haven’t had a trial.

So actually it means absolutely nothing since Apple is already offering these 4 months to anyone. I got an advert yesterday but it was no use since I’ve used a previous trial.
Really? I just signed up for AM yesterday and Apple offered only a 3 month trial.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Really? I just signed up for AM yesterday and Apple offered only a 3 month trial.

Yeah I was excited for a moment. It’s only at the last stage that Apple says oh you’ve had a trial before so we’ll start charging your card immediately.

So this campaign is just Apple exploiting a problem for free advertising and karma.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Apple is already offering these 4 months to anyone.
Do you have a link? Here is a link describing the 3-month offer for new users which can be extended to a 4-month offer for any US military with an ID.me number. I believe the 4-month offer to all Red Cross blood donors is a new thing.

Donating now is a great idea -- even if no incentives are available to you personally. ? Supplies are at critical levels in many parts of the country. A friend recently noted that SoCal is giving only half-transfusions to people who need transfusions. We can address this shortage. Besides getting vaccinated and practicing distancing/masking protocols, this is a specific thing we can do to assist in this health crisis.

Even if you have burned out your free offers, your non-technical Apple users may still have them available. Please let them know that the Red Cross is hurting. Thanks!

Reactions: Sean J

mikeyteh

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
When is Bonnaroo? During the Delta variant or will it be during Lambda season?

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Do you have a link? Here is a link describing the 3-month offer for new users which can be extended to a 4-month offer for any US military with an ID.me number. I believe the 4-month offer to all Red Cross blood donors is a new thing.

Donating now is a great idea -- even if no incentives are available to you personally. ? Supplies are at critical levels in many parts of the country. A friend recently noted that SoCal is giving only half-transfusions to people who need transfusions. We can address this shortage. Besides getting vaccinated and practicing distancing/masking protocols, this is a specific thing we can do to assist in this health crisis.

Even if you have burned out your free offers, your non-technical Apple users may still have them available. Please let them know that the Red Cross is hurting. Thanks!
Too bad for them, they don’t want my gay blood.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Apparently there’s a limit to how many trials you can get. I’m on a trial right now and I have 2 more free trials in my email. Entering the code tells me I’ve used too many.

May end up buying the year for $99 when this trial ends next week.

Oh, I gave blood this past Saturday so I’ll end up with another code in a few weeks.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68020
Jun 6, 2005
Even better…let’s make blood exempt from current laws prohibiting organ sales and we never have to have a blood drive again. Works great for plasma.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I used to donate all the time when they’d come to our high school and college and everything. But sadly, they won’t accept my blood even though im
Married and in a monogamous marriage. It just happens to be to another man.

oh well, maybe someday. If they’d open it up, I’d donate each chance I could.

nimbusthegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Dallas, TX
I used to donate all the time when they’d come to our high school and college and everything. But sadly, they won’t accept my blood even though im
Married and in a monogamous marriage. It just happens to be to another man.

oh well, maybe someday. If they’d open it up, I’d donate each chance I could.
I was coming here to make this very point. The discrimination against gay men is still going and frankly, offensive. All blood is tested. HIV isn’t a gay disease and their continued rhetoric defending this discriminatory policy is ridiculous. Apple should use their power to put an end to this practice.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Apparently there’s a limit to how many trials you can get. I’m on a trial right now and I have 2 more free trials in my email. Entering the code tells me I’ve used too many.

May end up buying the year for $99 when this trial ends next week.

Oh, I gave blood this past Saturday so I’ll end up with another code in a few weeks.
Or keep your blood and sign up for a Target account for free and get 4 months.

Target has a $10 store credit with purchase of a $100 Apple gift card promo right now if that’s the route you take.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Bawstun

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I was coming here to make this very point. The discrimination against gay men is still going and frankly, offensive. All blood is tested. HIV isn’t a gay disease and their continued rhetoric defending this discriminatory policy is ridiculous. Apple should use their power to put an end to this practice.

As a gay man myself I only wanted to say that HIV/AIDS is mostly a gay disease. The hysteria in the 80’s when it was first spread and discovered made people think it can happen to anyone. But to this day it remains primarily a gay disease, one only has to check the statistics of infection rates every year to see this. It is what it is.

This is from HIV.gov:

3C25D3CB-C1EA-47EF-B1E7-C049D2571FD6.jpeg

“In 2019, the largest percentages of HIV infections were attributed to male-to-male sexual contact (66% overall and 81% among males.)”

InGen

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2020
Receive a Vaccine while you’re at it and receive an additional 50GB+ iCloud storage data and a coupon for 25% off your next take away meal!

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
As a gay man myself I only wanted to say that HIV/AIDS is mostly a gay disease. The hysteria in the 80’s when it was first spread and discovered made people think it can happen to anyone. But to this day it remains primarily a gay disease, one only has to check the statistics of infection rates every year to see this. It is what it is.

This is from HIV.gov:

View attachment 1816937

“In 2019, the largest percentages of HIV infections were attributed to male-to-male sexual contact (66% overall and 81% among males.)”
That doesn’t make it any less discriminatory since all the blood is tested.

Reactions: agoodpub

agenda893

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
Terrible value. A pint of blood sells for about $250 plus installation. Processing it after you “donate” it costs about $65. That’s $185 profit per pint - up it to 6 months of Apple One or a pair of AirPod Pros with two pints and maybe I’ll think about it.

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
That's cool. I donate whole blood every eight weeks, so I won't be able to donate until October again, so I'll miss out on this, and I have already had Apple Music, but I dropped it a while ago. Oh well.

Also their gay ban is stupid.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
That doesn’t make it any less discriminatory since all the blood is tested.
Has more to do with being around a possible HIV carrier with needles, blood, etc. I'm not supporting any particular side, I'm just noting why they have the policy. They won't take my blood either, even though they test... it's about the exposure.

Sean J

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2021
Err… what about just giving blood because it’s the humanitarian thing to do? That’s how it works in many other Western nations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.