Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I used to play AA years ago but then the guy who was porting it to Mac (Ryan somebody) stopped developement because it was not economically viable for him, especially when he was responsible for many other games that he was getting paid for.

If I remember correctly development (on the Mac version) stayed on 2.4 for around 18 months then 2.5 was finally squeezed out. This must of been about 2 years ago (correct me if im wrong). All the while the PC raced ahead to 2.7 and more recently 2.8.

Because the Mac version stayed on 2.5 the game servers dried up as the majority of PC users had upgraded. It got harder and harder to find a good server. I stopped playing.

I will admit though it is a great game.

This 2.5 deploy things is just a game launcher isnt it?

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
While it started of as a launcher it does much more than that now... It fixes many of the bugs in the game and the server manager actually has it's own GameSpy query engine I reversed engineered from the Linux version to fill in for the Mac Versions lack of a GameSpy engine (Gamespy adds your server to the list, gives you a list of servers and allows you server to be tracked). There are U-scripts that run deep inside the games UnReal engine to solve various problems. I've probably put 150 Hours of coding work into this thing so far.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Thanks for the link and information Jonnym, I am downloading it now. :)

Hopefully this game will work fine on my 17" 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 w/ 2GB of DDR2 SDRAM & 128MB ATI Radeon 9700. If not, I can boot into Windows using my iMac or Mac Pro and try the Windows version of the game. :)

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
The game will run very nicely on a 1.67 Power book! I personally run it on a 1.67 eMac (overclocked) with a 64mb ATI radeon 9600 and it works very well for me.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
My brother downloaded it for his powerbook because he enjoyed the windows version so much on my macbook. However he did say that 2.5a which is the one he has, has NO people on any servers and basically no one plays. Can someone confirm this.

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
No the 2.5 community is very much active. There are some 8800 active players accounts in the last month on this version. Around 100 Online at any time, around 30 servers on at any time. And people are still very active in developing new Maps/Missions every couple of weeks on this version. Infact the number of people playing this version has been growing fast in the last couple of months.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I just checked it out and he is right we can not find any servers on the mission screen, no matter how many times we refresh. Any idea guys, we cant find servers.

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
You have to install the HotFix B, Or use 2.5Assist (Formaly know as 2.5Deploy) you will not see any servers without.

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Version 1.63 released.

Change Log...

Updates to Hotfix B2 on Mac, To make use of new HSF-SMBS.

HSF-SMBS server list moved onto a faster and more reliable server with master lists obtained from multiple sources so should never go down... Hopefully.

Assist Server Manager now working properly on All Platforms, Including Windows VISTA, Sorry for the buggy release last time.
Added GUID tracking option to Send PB GUID information in the GameSpy query To/From AAOTracker, This provides safer and more accurate tracking.
Server manager tested and fully operational in Regular and mAAp modes on the following platforms:-
Windows 2000 Server
Windows XP Home/Pro
Windows 2003 Server
Windows Vista Home Premium
Linux Ubuntu 8.10
Linux Fedora 10
Linux Cent-OS 4 Server
Mac OS X Tiger
Mac OS X Leopard

Screenshot 2 x 25Assist servers running on Linux Cent OS4 using Tiny Desktop..
srvlin.png

Enjoy!

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Version 1.71 Released.

Many new features and bug fixes but best of all includes the new mAAp pack 5.0, A collection of the best community made missions for America's Army, The New mAAp Pipeline mission included with this pack is based on the upcoming AA3.0 version.

Download only takes a couple of minutes so give it a try.

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Version 1.73 has been released.
Whats new?
PunkBuster update system has been completely redesigned, This should fix all those problems people have been having updating their PunkBuster.

lensam

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
Bridgeport, CT
Did you ever get any feedback on the game working with intel? I got the alum 2.0 and Im looking for a game to have on it in case i want to play something

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
AA was originally designed as a PowerPC app so there will be some heavy CPU overhead but your Macbook's NVIDIA graphics chipset will be a big help... My guess is it will run reasonably well.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Hey gamers, get this! I heard that as long as you can fog a mirror and sign your name, the US Army will give you a gun and send you to all of those fascinating places in the game to kill people FOR REAL!!! You won't have to worry about your computer settings when you can do it in real life?:eek:

Why play around with a stupid simulation when you can look your fellow human in the eyes, and blow his brains out for real? :mad:

In fact, I think the Army will will supply you with clothes, lodging and food (and a little beer money) for four whole years. (If you are lucky, you might get body armor, otherwise you may need to get Mommy & Daddy to buy it for you)

Enjoy!

lensam

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
Bridgeport, CT
Yeah but.... its fun when they come back to life so you can shoot em again.

Hey jonny while were on the subject how will COD 4 work on my mac. is it worth gettin or a lost cause. I play Delta Force BHD all the time on the PC but thats out so Id like to get a shooter game for when I have a little down time or when traveling.

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Version 1.8 out now.
Includes the new mAAp pack v6. Introduces lots of new maps and some re-makes of old maps.

Last edited:

Jonnym

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
After a year of being down, 2.5 Assist is finally back... Download at AA25.org
Using 25assist is then only way to get Americas Army working on our Macs.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
After a year of being down, 2.5 Assist is finally back... Download at AA25.org
Using 25assist is then only way to get Americas Army working on our Macs.

What is the file it starts downloading, too small to be AA. . . Do you think it can run on the gma 950?

Oh its still not UB is it? AA assist says it wont run well on intel based macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.