America's Got Talent

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by liamkp, Sep 12, 2010.

1. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Who do you thinks going to win the million dollars?

My bet is on Prince Poppycock.

2. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I can state uncategorically that America certainly does NOT have talent. Just another mindless pseudo-"reality" television show in the mold of American IDIOT.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

First, my musings on the specifics of the Final Four, based strictly on "talent":

• Prince Poppycock and Jackie Evancho are neck-and-neck.
      [*]Prince Poppycock is the whole package: sight and sound, with built-in stage presence and a wider musical repertoire. However, his flamboyance may alienate more conservative and/or homophobic individuals (this is what Howie Mandel meant when he questioned how well Poppycock would be accepted by "Middle America") and will cost him votes. I must admit I'm surprised he made the Final Four; his patriot-themed performance was perhaps the cheesiest of all his appearances so far.
      [*]Jackie Evancho is technical perfection with an interminably cute, family-friendly image. However, her limitation to opera pieces are a detriment, and her youth would work against her if she were to start a musical career now. She would basically have to take a year off from school to fulfill the upcoming tour, and it's unknown how she and especially her parents would deal with that.​
    • If Michael Grimm doesn't get signed to a recording contract after the show, I'll be astounded; he's got the chops and the look for a House Of Blues performance. However, he has to connect more with the audience, like he finally did last week, if he wants to contend in the final.
    • Fighting Gravity needs to find another good thematic piece, but one that is more readily recognizable. The "moon man" concept last week was a bit too "hip for the crowd"; I had to explain a large part of it to my wife. Still, I can see FG getting their own Vegas show anyway even if they don't win, as did former AGT contestants the Jabbawockeez (to be fair, winning America's Best Dance Crew helped the JWz).

Now for my opinion about the show in general:
    It's devolved to a popularity contest.
    For those who hadn't realized it before now, it was made painfully obvious a couple of weeks ago during the Judge's Choice. Antonio Restivo was eliminated, leaving the judges with the lackluster choices of Christina & Ali and Connor Doran. Piers Morgan even stated during the show that Antonio did a better performance than the others, and was not comfortable with the choice presented. Neither Connor nor C&A did a superb job that week; both were clearly sympathy/popularity votes.

For this reason, I think that Jackie Evancho has the upper hand in the Final Four. She already has music out on iTunes, so if by some weird stroke of luck she doesn't win, she'll have the sales of iTunes to fund her studies, and will continue to be seen in the public eye, provided her parents help keep her from becoming another Britney or Lindsay Lohan. Remember Susan Boyle? If you'll remember, she was runner-up to dance group Diversity on Britain's Got Talent, and has become an international superstar anyway.

4. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

I want the Prince to win, but I would not be suprised if Jackie wins. She is cute and 10 yrs old? But, she just stands there and has no big stage theme. That is what I find boring about her. The Prince puts on a huge show! Plus, he sings songs I have heard, and not just opera:rolleyes:

I was very shocked when the Antonio guy did not make it through. I thought he would for sure make it to the final four.

5. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

Going to give all my votes to Prince. He has been my favorite since his audition. Michael Grimm made me bust out the Michael Bolton though!:D

6. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Well, the performances are over.
    • Prince Poppycock went for the more serious opera side to showcase his technical side. Piers buzzed him, saying that he took all the fun out of his act and that he "blew it." Sharon called Piers out on his buzz, saying that it was inappropriate for the final and that Piers was being selfish.
    • Michael Grimm was next, and did a nice job with "When A Man Loves A Woman", carefully crafting his delivery so that he didn't look like another forehead-vein-popping Michael Bolton, and got accolades.
    • Jackie Evancho delivered her usual level of performance, except at the very end where IMHO the low note was a bit off. She still got raves from the judges anyway. Piers compared Jackie's performance directly to Poppycock's, which Sharon immediately derided as unfair.
    • Fighting Gravity went with a Good Vs. Evil theme and pulled it off nicely with a catchy musical hook. There was one visible flaw-- a dark-suited member's silhouette was briefly visible against a glowing door, which somewhat marred the illusion.
    At this point, I'm of the opinion that the show (especially Piers) is trying to influence viewers toward Jackie Evancho. Regardless, all Top 10 finalists will be on the tour anyway, so we'll see all these folks again. And when the tour is done, I see three (Poppycock, Grimm, FG) continuing immediately with their acts. Evancho is a toss-up: will she go back and finish school traditionally and mature a bit in the process, or launch a full-blown career, knowing that growing up in show business has a (very public) dark side?

7. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Surprise!

The finale was last night, and the winner-- to many people's surprise-- wasn't Jackie Evancho. Michael Grimm came out on top.

Other highlights:
    • The AGT All Stars, a selection of some of the more memorable audition rejects, did a group number.
    • Each Top 4 finalist performed a "duet" with an established artist. Prince Poppycock hammed it up with Donna Summer. Fighting Gravity "danced on the ceiling" with Lionel Richie. Jackie Evancho reprised an earlier aria alongside Sarah Brightman. Michael Grimm crooned "Me and Bobby McGee" with Jewel.
    • Speaking of duets, Nick Cannon brought back Sponjetta Parrish for a full version of her song "Studio", and had a secret guest vocalist: T-Pain, who did a freestyle "remix" verse. Looks like Sponjetta's career may have just got the boost it needs; T-Pain's appearance and performance gave her validation from a songwriting point of view.

Anyway, I'm glad that's over. I gotta go. If you need me, I'll be in my usual place, and you know where that be: Up Up In My Studio, Studio! :D

8. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

I thought it was great being able to watch it this season. I started watching it a couple episodes in and then was hooked. I had not watched it all the past seasons it aired. I will be tuning in again next year.

I was very suprised Michael won, and disappointed that Prince Poppycock came in last. Hope Michael ends up getting some deals, as he was a great singer. I know I will follow him, to see how all this holds up.

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I'm glad that Michael won; his final performance was spot-on and very engaging, while Jackie Evancho's was "same old, same old". Michael already has a "House Of Blues"-ready sound and image, and he's mature enough to make this a successful career. I'm quite sure he'll get signed by a label rather quickly, if he wants it.

I don't look at Prince Poppycock as coming in last; I prefer to think of him as "third runner-up." All 10 of the top ten acts have a spot on the AGT tour, so this is definitely not the last time the Prince will liven up a stage.

EDIT: Speaking of the Tour: I have a feeling that AGT, as they travel to each stop on the tour, will ask acts that weren't in the Top 10 but happen to live near those particular stops, to perform as a special guest star for that evening and give it some "local" flavor. The Southern California stops could have Haspop on a couple nights, Denver could have Lindsay, the hip-hop violinist (who lives in Utah, if I'm not mistaken), and Atlanta could have an appearance by Sponjetta Parrish.

10. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

True, I suppose I was just seeing him be last to who was left in the competition.

I think your idea would be pretty cool. With all they threw at us in the finale, it would seem feasible. I even remember watching the finale, and they kept introducing all the performers for the night, I thought they would run out of time. Then I checked the dvr and it was 2 hours, and not the 1 hour I expected. The Sponjetta performance was quite funny and cool at the same time!:)

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I really like Fighting Gravity but a few times ive seen the guy against the lit up background...tisk tisk...but they are awesome.

12. liamkp thread starter macrumors 68020

liamkp

I was definitely disappointed by Prince's last performance. But, Grim deserved it too.