AMEX and Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MuDPHuDStudent, Mar 18, 2011.

1. MuDPHuDStudent macrumors member

I know people have posted asking about whether to get Applecare for a MBP purchase or just to pay with AMEX and receive the one year extended AMEX warranty. I've search (mroogle and google) but haven't been able to find the answer to one question: If I purchase a MBP with my AMEX and then six months later I decide to purchase Applecare, would my warranty be extended to three years total (year 2 both Applecare and AMEX warranties) or would the AMEX warranty be tacked on to the end of the Applecare for four years total? If I buy the computer and Applecare with my AMEX at the same time I know I get four years but I'm not sure if that is the case if I buy Applecare after purchasing my computer.

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pretty sure your warranty would only be extended 2 years past the first year from the date of purchase. AMEX, unless offering a 4-year from date of purchase warranty, would not be a successor to the extended warranty (AC).

3. Pak^Man macrumors regular

My understanding is that the AMEX warranty only extends one-year warranties by an additional year (2 total). As Applecare extended warranty is 3 years, AMEX would not add a year at the end of that.

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

AMEX does not care about your Applecare.

You either get Applecare and have 3 years total warranty.
    You can choose to not get Applecare and you would have 2 year total warranty if paid with your credit card.

5. PhatBoyG macrumors regular

PhatBoyG

If you buy with your AMEX and only get the included 1-year warranty, Amex will cover repairs on the second year. You will need to take it into the genius bar, get a quote, get it approved, and then repaired by Apple.

If you buy with your AMEX and get the extra 2 years from AppleCare, Amex covers repairs for the fourth year of ownership (from the day apple care runs out through the next 365 days). AMEX is 1-year from the time the original warranty expires, which is 3-years with the factory extended warranty.

You can read the terms and conditions on the American Express site, but extended warranties are clearly spelled out in the terms.

6. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

Hmmmm.... I'll have to do that. A few years I read through the warranties as I had this same exact question and it specifically stated that the warranty could not be extended past 2 years total. That would be great if that was no longer the case.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

That's pretty much how it works. Buy Applecare and they do the extra year after Applecare.

from their extended warranty policy;

8. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

Be sure your AMEX is listed on the linked extended warranty policy. Mine is not and the rules in my paperwork state "If your service contract or extended warranty exceeds twelve (12) months, this coverage does not apply." IE, if the original/purchased warranty is longer than 12 months then the AMEX warranty does not apply.

So just a caveat that it can vary by each individual card.

9. rjbruce macrumors regular

BONUS!

Picked mine up at launch and paid with my AMEX. Had no idea on the extra warranty.

10. MuDPHuDStudent thread starter macrumors member

11. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    this is awesome news - :D
    i always use my amex when i can...love it
    will call them tomorrow to see if this applies to us UK folks

12. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

The nearest Apple store is 100 miles away from me. How does this work in that situation? Would I mail it in (at my expense) to get a quote?

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Their original warranty also covers repairs by Certified Service Centers, so you could get a quote from them too. Make sure they're actually certified by Apple though.

14. jenzjen, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

Note, though, that AppleCare is one of the few extended warranties that passes AMEX criteria, ie the AMEX year comes after 3 years of AppleCare. For most other extended service plans (geek squad, service master, etc the bulk of what's out there today), AMEX warranty overlaps with the extended plan and elsewhere in the terms, AMEX states they won't provide repair if the product is covered under any other plan.

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I think that's because the original manufacturer is the one who is providing the warranty; not a third-party retailer or insurance company.

16. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, the nearest Certified Service Center is also 100 miles away. :-(

17. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you have to mail something to be repaired, I believe they pay for shipping. However, I would double check on that.

18. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Correct, the bulk of everything other extended warranty is either provided and/or administered by a third party. For AMEX to recognize the extended warranty contract, it has to be both "provided and administered by the original manufacturer" ... see #11 on page 3 in the terms linked in a prior post.

19. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I read somewhere that you didn't have to by AppleCare at the original purchase date as long as you buy it on your AMEX later on and it will cover the 4th year for you. Can anyone confirm this?

20. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Correct, as long as both the Apple hardware and AppleCare were purchased on the same card, they do not have to be bought at the same time. I myself buy AppleCare almost at the 1 year warranty mark.

21. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Thanks for confirming that.

22. wilfried macrumors member

Correction: American Express doesn't care how you bought your Applecare, you just need to prove that you had it. I sent them the "Applecare Protection Plan Certificate" I dug out of my email, which shows what was covered and the end date. That was sufficient. I didn't buy it at the same time I bought the computer (in fact, I bought it for cheep on eBay, and paid with PayPal bank transfer).

I dealt with this just this week, and Amex just approved my claim.

They were incredibly fast too. My hard drive died last week, my Applecare expired in November. I called Amex on Sat. I went to the Apple Store on Sun. and got an estimate, and had them begin the repair. I faxed the required documents to Amex on Mon. Today, Wed., I got an email saying they approved the repair, and will credit my Amex card with the amount on the estimate. Making the claim was incredibly quick and easy.

This thread actually saved my bacon. When my hard drive died, I had forgotten about the Amex deal. I ran across this thread which prompted me to look into it, and lo and behold, I actually have a whole extra year of warrantee protection. Anyway, I thought I'd share. Applecare + American Express = 4 year warrantee, which is a great deal.